Is my new Rode VideMic Pro recording at lower-than-normal levels?

xbonet

I recently bought the Rode VideoMic Pro to couple with my Zoom H1 in order to obtain better and cleaner sound in my video by recording the person's voice from up top, as close as I can get, which is normall around 30-40 cms from the person'a mouth. However, I'm finding that at normal to slighlty-higher-than-normal speech My setup must be VMP @ +20db and H1 @ 25 in order to get a decent sounding audio quality with decent volume. Which seems weird to me... If I want the VMP @ 0 db, I'm forced to jack up the H1 to 75 in order to get similar results (although I feel audio quality is already a little sacrificed by it). The VMP @ -10 db? Well, that makes sound non-existent in my setting. My setup is pretty standard, isn't it? Having the VMP at 30 cm seems like a dream to me when compared to when I worked on short films and the boom had to be high up, a couple of meters from the actors. However, I feel I'm getting very low recording volumes. The first VMP I bought had an issue with the jack, and the audio input to the H1 would cut off on its own for no reason. So I could never really test it. This second VMP is fine in that respect but it does have this possible issue... Plus, the Off-On-Cut switch pops off... So I'm feeling like the Rode quality control for these mics atleast isn't that great. Anyway, that's why I'm feeling like my VMP might be working at lower-than-normal volumes. :(

Back