Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new ribbon hybrid mic

Thanks

My new ribbon hybrid mic

Sign in to disable this ad
    Lady and Gentlemen,

Please let me introduce my new creature. The world first ribbon--omni hybrid microphone. Well, probably not the first--remember WE-Altec 639A, but in this configuration--first. The omni part is based on WM61 Panasonic capsule and schematics found in ECM8000 thread. The ribbon part built around neodymium 10mmx10mmx36mm magnets. For now I put it in an old EV enclosure. Later, I will probably do something else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ribbon-ev-jpg  

Thanks
    Here is a close up of the ribbon capsule. The ribbon itself is made out of 1.5 micron aluminum foil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ribbon-jpg  

Thanks
    Cool. Had a chance to test its sound yet?
    People these days wont take responsiblity for anything, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks
    Never seen one of those before!

I'm very curious to hear your results with that one!

Will you keep us posted?

Thanks
    Right on!
    How's it sound!?!?

Thanks
    Very cool. Now add a remote box with a polarity reverse switch on the ribbon and a level control on the omni, and you have a completely variable multi-pattern mic. If you can add a pivot to turn the omni 90°, you have a complete M-S setup.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Harvey Gerst
    Very cool. Now add a remote box with a polarity reverse switch on the ribbon and a level control on the omni, and you have a completely variable multi-pattern mic. If you can add a pivot to turn the omni 90°, you have a complete M-S setup.
    An omni won't care which direction it points. While some suggest the use of an omni mid, that results, after the M/S matrix, in two virtual cardiods pointing directly to the sides.

For a more traditional M/S I'd recommend the use of a WM55A cardiod capsule for the mid. The relative gains of it and the ribbon must be closely matched.

Marik, you'll get a much stronger field across the ribbon if you complete the magnetic circuit around the outside of the magnets with a U shaped piece of highly permeable metal.

Bob

Thanks

Thanks
    Thank you Gentlemen,

It is too early to say something about sound, as I just finished it and have not tryed in real situation yet. From the first tests (on my voice) I can tell that the output of the ribbon section is very hot. The overall sound is very special. I was comparing it to different mics, and definitely this one has very unique qualities. If someone has a ribbon mic, try it with ECM8000--you will get same effect.

<Very cool. Now add a remote box with a polarity reverse switch on the ribbon and a level control on the omni, and you have a completely variable multi-pattern mic. If you can add a pivot to turn the omni 90°, you have a complete M-S setup.>

Harvey,

My idea was to use the omni as a 'fill in' for HF roll off of the ribbon and nice cardioid pattern.
    You got it! Yes, I made it for MS recording, however, I will be using THIS one as a mid, however, I made a third channel in my pre with the reverse polarity and independant level adjustments for different patterns.

<For a more traditional M/S I'd recommend the use of a WM55A cardiod capsule for the mid. The relative gains of it and the ribbon must be closely matched.>

For the Side I will be using whether another ribbon, or KK87 capsule based tube mic. When I use MS, usually I record mid and side on different channels, and then matrix them during mastering.

<Marik, you'll get a much stronger field across the ribbon if you complete the magnetic circuit around the outside of the magnets with a U shaped piece of highly permeable metal.>

I made this way for three reasons:

1) Simplicity of the construction
    2) The magnets are pretty darn strong (I used N48 grade), and output is pretty hot, and won't get much higher with magnetic return circuit.
    3) The thickness of this metal piece will increase lenght of signal path between front and rear and thus, will reduce high frequency cut off point.
    Last edited by Marik; 02-29-2004 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Marik

<Marik, you'll get a much stronger field across the ribbon if you complete the magnetic circuit around the outside of the magnets with a U shaped piece of highly permeable metal.>

I made this way for three reasons:

1) Simplicity of the construction
    2) The magnets are pretty darn strong (I used N48 grade), and output is pretty hot, and won't get much higher with magnetic return circuit.
    It will get a lot stronger with a return path. Consider that you have two gaps in series, that in which the ribbon resides and the other going around between the other poles of the pieces.

That is like having two resistors in series. The return path, being longer is of much higher "resistance" than the gap so that the drop in the field strength will be predominantly due to that return path. Think of it as a resistive divider.

3) The thickness of this metal piece will increase lenght of signal path between front and rear and thus, will reduce high frequency cut off point.
    It need not be very thick at all to make a big difference. Actually, I'm rather surprised that you report it as hot. Those must be some intense magnets. :-)

Very nice job, BTW. I don't want you to think I am unimpressed, I just don't know how to shut off the engineer in me.

Bob

Thread Information