My gear order

Tronologic

Mic Stand with boom
M-audio Nova with pop filter and universal shockmount
M-audio Delta 44 Digital recording system
Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Pro Monitoring headphones (2 pairs)
Yamaha MG10/2 stereo mixer
Mogami Silver Series Microphone Cable 25 foot
Monster Cable Studio Link 500 Interconnect 1/4" 2 meters
M-audio Keystation pro 88 MIDI controller (free stand)

I think this is what im gonna order, if you have any suggestions for improvements i should make let me know.

TOTAL: $1137.00 USD

Tronologic said:
Mic Stand with boom
M-audio Nova with pop filter and universal shockmount
M-audio Delta 44 Digital recording system
Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Pro Monitoring headphones (2 pairs)
Yamaha MG10/2 stereo mixer
Mogami Silver Series Microphone Cable 25 foot
Monster Cable Studio Link 500 Interconnect 1/4" 2 meters
M-audio Keystation pro 88 MIDI controller (free stand)

I think this is what im gonna order, if you have any suggestions for improvements i should make let me know.

TOTAL: $1137.00 USD

That list looks like a good start, but you are going to want a monitoring system other than headphones ($400 - $500) for a small budget system. You could go cheaper, but I wouldn't.

i have the 44, and if you can swing it, i'd get the rackmount 10/10 instead... for about $150 more, it's well worth having the extra ins.

if not, get at least the 66 because you can piggyback up to 3 66's on top of it.

I agree you need monitors, headphone mixes tend to translate poorly. Do you at least have a decent home stereo you could try to mix with? You'd be better off doing that than relying on headphones to mix.

War

As I understand it, you can combine any M-Audio cards without problems. I have heard of people with one each of Deltas 44, 66 and 1010 in their machines. In the future I hope to add a 1010 to my 44.

Extra inputs will be great in time, but that looks like a good start to me.

Tronologic said:
i have about 3 stereo systems worth over 800$ each, a nice JVC one and an older Pioneer one.

Those are great for reference but probably not for mixing. For mixing, you want a power amp and monitors that give you a flat freq response and detailed stereo imaging so you can make accurate eq, volume, and panning decisions. Amps and monitors made for pleasure listening are made to sound good, not necessarily accurate.

hey is the nova any good?

i have it but my computers in the shop so i cant use it yet.

i have it along with the m-audio pre usb.

noisedude said:
As I understand it, you can combine any M-Audio cards without problems. I have heard of people with one each of Deltas 44, 66 and 1010 in their machines. In the future I hope to add a 1010 to my 44.

Extra inputs will be great in time, but that looks like a good start to me.

There were problems with syncing the 44 to othercards but the new drivers seem to work fine using kernelsync.

OTB - The Nova is a pretty new mic, I think, so you will struggle to find reviews at this stage. M-Audio's track record on all things is fairly good though.

Paddy - what is kernelsync?

Back