MXL2006 = pre-modded MXL 2001 directly from Marshall?!

Alouf

Hi guys,

While i was browsing the web today, i cam across this new product from MXL , in which they say that this new model got inspired by all the "hot-rodding" being made to the MXL 2001, 2003, etc...

The new product is the MXL 2006. Here is what one add on eBay says on this matter:

Folks...This HOT BRAND NEW RELEASE from our good friends at MARSHALL/MXL is really an excellent budget studio condenser microphone.

Its new design was inspired by all of the recent "hot-rod" modification articles that have been written about the MXL 1006 , MXL2001, MXL 2003 ETC.

They took the ideas to heart !

This mic uses the same proven capsule as the now legenary V67G

What do you guys make of this? did anyone test this microphone yet?

I searched the web and i swear, i could'nt find a review or even a comment anywhere! Not on the audio forums, nowhere!

Thanks for your reply all :)

p.s: anyone kows what happened to the MXL v77? discontinued?

I have heard the V77 has been discontinued - unfortunately. Marshall now advertises a 900 series tube mic, so we'll have to see what folks think of that one.

is mic uses the same proven capsule as the now legenary V67G

That statement is almost laughable right there. I mean come on, its a good mic for under $100 but legendary?

LOL, well, you know, it is a sales person that wrote the add :)

That's one heluva "presence peak"

And is that a good or a bad thing? How do you read those graphs anyways?

Thanks for you reply.

Hi Harvey,

I assume that you did not test that microphone yet? From the curve and the specs, does it look like we have a winner here? :)

Thanks.

Alouf said:
Hi Harvey,

I assume that you did not test that microphone yet? From the curve and the specs, does it look like we have a winner here? :)

Thanks.
I trust very few curves, and specs, even less. I haven't heard most of their new models.

Harvey Gerst said:
That curve bears no resemblence to the V67 curve:

It may still be the same capsule I suspect the transformer is taming the V67 output.

I trust very few curves, and specs, even less.

Yeah I love the way they say "30Hz-20kHz" but conveniently leave both these ends well off the graph - makes for a much smoother looking response.

It's phenominal the way people quote these responses - some times +-10dB sometimes +-40dB - the specs on their own say nothing. When you go into 'useful response' it gets even more laughable.

screw that

Bah,

I agree that "graphs" don't tell the whole story.

I will be buying the used, the "legendary"(C) and somehow trusted MXL-V67G. I do not want to buy into all that "The pre Hot rodded mic" hype this guy is putting on eBay.

Nonetheless, it would be interristing if somebody could review it because i do not know if it is lack of interrest of availability problems, but not a single sole reviewed this mic so far.

Last edited:
Back