MXL v67g vs R144

Altyman

Hi!

I am in the process of buying my first "all-around" mic, to record accoustic guitar and male vocals and I have read a lot about the subject, mainly on these forums. I have read an interesting comment in an old thread saying that if you're to get only one all around mic, that you're starting out and that your room is not treated properly, you're better off getting a ribbon mic because it's not going to capture as much details as the condenser. After looking around I have found out that the V67g, which seems to be the condenser of choice for these kinds of budget and applications, and the R144 are pretty much at the same price.

Is it preferable to get a mic with a flatter response for a first mic?

The mic will be ran through a Tascam Us1641, I do not own a pre-amp (other than the ones in the Tascam). Is it realistic to get a good result with a ribbon with the preamp of the interface?

Thanks!

Hey Altyman!..........how are ya?
You know at the price of both of these microphones I would suggest getting them both.
That way you can have either microphone for when the time comes that you want a different flavor to your tracks.

:cool:

Back