MXL V67G or MXL v69 Mogami Tube? Cast Your Vote!

What mic should i get ?

• MXL V69 Mogami Tube, should I say more?

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • MXL V67G, the obvious choice!

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters

craven

so i found a MXL v69 mogami tube for $135, and a MXL v67G for 90, so i figured i would throw up a poll to see what you guys think...

mike over at octava mods says that the best mic under 500 is the MXL v67g....but, lets see what you all think.

i am looking for a really warmish/dark sound....with less top end and more low-mids.....

cast your vote, and your thoughts!

I've had both....and I'd go for the V77.....

...depends on the sound you're going for....V67 is better for my own voice - the V69 just sounded muddy, and I wound up trading it away after getting the V77, which is like butter. YMMV.

went to the local music store, to find a mic.....these 2 i tested, i am testing 2 more tomorrow.....

the first is the RODE NTK link below....it sounded very CLEAN no spike in highs has a nice flow to it and has some low end but not quite enough, but it can be eq'd.....the response was almost completely flat...which is good for overall vocals....check out the reviews in the link....

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-M9-Tube-Large-Diaphragm-Microphone?sku=270771

the next test was a CAD m9...vacuum tube....its got that sound almost like your ears are in love LOL really really, WARM!! i mean lows and mids, i loved it....not as crisp as the rode tho.....

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-M9-Tube-Large-Diaphragm-Microphone?sku=270771

tomorrow i am testing the CAD trion 6000, and the mxl v67i......let me know what you guys think!

I don't know if Han is still around, but if I remember correctly he liked the V69 quite a bit, and Han was no slouch. I haven't heard either mic, but if Mike (Joly) really said the V67 is the best mic < $500 that would include some of his own mics, wouldn't it?

I don't know if Han is still around, but if I remember correctly he liked the V69 quite a bit, and Han was no slouch. I haven't heard either mic, but if Mike (Joly) really said the V67 is the best mic < $500 that would include some of his own mics, wouldn't it?

It's more likely he said it's the best mic < $500 with his mod, though as you imply that would make it better than a modded Oktava, so I think he has probably been mis-quoted. The v69 improves with a good tube upgrade, FWIR.

It's more likely he said it's the best mic < $500 with his mod, though as you imply that would make it better than a modded Oktava, so I think he has probably been mis-quoted...

Yeah, a misquote. I told him I haven't heard every microphone under $500 so I could not answer that specific question. But speaking to the quality of a modifed '219 or '319 I suggested he might listen to samples on my site comparing them to Neumann U 47 / 48, U 47 FET, M149 and Gefell UM 57 - all mics worth considerably more than $500 ;)

Last edited:
Speaking of misquotes... or at least misleading quotes...

Michael Joly of Oktavamod has been taking a quote of mine out of context on at least three audio/recording forums, including this one (although it was recently changed). But if I dont' respond to this, people who have read it might continue to believe I wrote it. Here's what he wrote in his sig line:

<<<Ultimate MXL 603 Mod
"...better than the Neumann KM 184..."
Mike Jasper - Tape Op Magazine #70>>

Let me state this flatly: I do NOT think the Joly-modded MXL 603 is better than a Neumann KM 184. (I'll probably see this later: Mike Jasper says: "... Joly-modded MXL 603 is better than a Neumann KM184.)

This makes it appear that I am saying his MXL 603 mod is unequivocally "... better than a KM184..." And that's ridiculous. I owned a KM184 for at least three years and used it on acoustic guitars and electric amps in both stereo and mono configurations. I also used the KM 184s on a few live recordings. But I only used the Joly MXL mod for 40 minutes on one acoustic guitar, my car keys and a shaker. On that day, in that room, with the 30-second piece I played on that guitar o' mine, I did prefer the sound of his mod over the KM 184 on acoustic guitar. (Note: I use sound files for all my shaker recordings and I've always preferred the Schoeps on car keys.)

That said, the KM 184 proved itself over and over to me for three years. It's durable, it's consistent, it holds its resale value well, its sound, while a tad bright, takes EQ well and the Neumann name attracts clients. All this may be true for the Joly mod as well, but I'm no position to say. I only used it for a 40-minute test.

Here's what I did write in my Tape Op review:

"When I finished the tests on the KM 184, I switched out mics and tried the same three tests with the MXL mod. It really did sound a lot like the Neumann. In fact, after re-listening to the sound files in preparation for this review, I think the mod sounds a little bit better than the KM 184, especially on acoustic guitar."

That's a pretty strong endorsement, I think. So why does Joly have to use a misleading pull quote? Isn't the truth -- the "truth," in this case, being my opinion -- enough?

Here's some more truth. I really liked the guy when I talked to him on the phone. Now he's put me in a position where I feel compelled to argue against his 603 mod on several audio forums where he's used the quote.

Jasper

Speaking of misquotes... or at least misleading quotes...

Michael Joly of Oktavamod has been taking a quote of mine out of context on at least three audio/recording forums, including this one (although it was recently changed). But if I dont' respond to this, people who have read it might continue to believe I wrote it. Here's what he wrote in his sig line:

<<<Ultimate MXL 603 Mod
"...better than the Neumann KM 184..."
Mike Jasper - Tape Op Magazine #70>>

Let me state this flatly: I do NOT think the Joly-modded MXL 603 is better than a Neumann KM 184. (I'll probably see this later: Mike Jasper says: "... Joly-modded MXL 603 is better than a Neumann KM184.)

This makes it appear that I am saying his MXL 603 mod is unequivocally "... better than a KM184..." And that's ridiculous. I owned a KM184 for at least three years and used it on acoustic guitars and electric amps in both stereo and mono configurations. I also used the KM 184s on a few live recordings. But I only used the Joly MXL mod for 40 minutes on one acoustic guitar, my car keys and a shaker. On that day, in that room, with the 30-second piece I played on that guitar o' mine, I did prefer the sound of his mod over the KM 184 on acoustic guitar. (Note: I use sound files for all my shaker recordings and I've always preferred the Schoeps on car keys.)

That said, the KM 184 proved itself over and over to me for three years. It's durable, it's consistent, it holds its resale value well, its sound, while a tad bright, takes EQ well and the Neumann name attracts clients. All this may be true for the Joly mod as well, but I'm no position to say. I only used it for a 40-minute test.

Here's what I did write in my Tape Op review:

"When I finished the tests on the KM 184, I switched out mics and tried the same three tests with the MXL mod. It really did sound a lot like the Neumann. In fact, after re-listening to the sound files in preparation for this review, I think the mod sounds a little bit better than the KM 184, especially on acoustic guitar."

That's a pretty strong endorsement, I think. So why does Joly have to use a misleading pull quote? Isn't the truth -- the "truth," in this case, being my opinion -- enough?

Here's some more truth. I really liked the guy when I talked to him on the phone. Now he's put me in a position where I feel compelled to argue against his 603 mod on several audio forums where he's used the quote.

Jasper

And how does this relate to the V69 vs V67 question? Are you just stalking?

Well, fwiw, I have the V67G and love it. Several years back I purchased the TB1 from PMI as B-Stock and loved it. After the tube went out I decided to get a new tube but also pick up this V67G which Harvey said was a good pick for me. I'm soooo glad I did. Now I can use one mic for the background vocals and the other for lead. It really has made stacking my own voice much nicer.

That's just my 2 cents!

I think that title should go to the shure KSM32, but I think the MXL V67G is the best condenser under $200.

KSM32 is it.

Did they change the design since the name changed to SM32?...I did just buy one and its on the way...saw it in a shootout against a U87...and it had a smoother test than the Neumaan...which sounded alot like my orignial PMI C1

Back