Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100 for vocals?

Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100

• Yes

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 45.5%

• Total voters
I voted "No" because even though it's one of the best, I wouldn't call it the best. There are other contenders like the Studio Projects B1.

I voted yes... because most of the time I like the Marshall MXLV67G more than the other contenders.

Last edited:
The best answer..........it depends.

The V67g is a good bang for the buck, but not for every voice. Best Idea, find a music store with a liberal return policy, (G.C, Daddy's, ETC.) buy a couple, the V67g, a SPB1, maybe even a dynamic or two (sm57 can be a good vocal mic in some cases) use them gently in (important) YOUR room. Exchange the unwanted for other gear,....... you know you need more gear. But I voted yes because until you do a shoot out to find which one works best on your voice in your room they're all tied for "best".

If you're just setting up and on a budget, think versatility. I needed condensors for drum OH, acoustic guitar, female vox and male Vox. I liked the V67g for male vox, 603s for OH, B1 for Female Vox and acoustic guitar, so to start I'm using the B1's for all of the above until I can add to the mic locker.

DJL said:
I voted yes... because most of the time I like the Marshall MXLV67G more than the other contenders.

Some of the other really cheap budget mic contenders are the Studio Projects B1 and Oktava MC-319.

JohnnyMan said:
Mine just arrived and I'll second that "Cool Looks" comment.
You really need to give it about a half years worth of use and only after you have compared it with the other mic contenders like the Studio Projects B1, Oktava MC-319, etc before you'll know which one you use the most and you can make-up your mind which mic you think is the over-all better mic.

One of the problems with these kind of polls is people voting who haven't really compared it with the other contenders... and sometimes businesses voting in favor of their products, and etc, etc.

What kinda vocals?

Screamers.... NO

Crooners....maybe depending on Tenor or Alto....

Works for my voice when doing certain genre's but not for others.

The more you record..the more you realize that your not going to find the "best" for anything.

Some people paid well over $99 for the MXLV67G when it first hit the market.

SoMm

DJL said:
... and sometimes businesses voting in favor of their products, and etc, etc.
Yeah, that's a high priority for businesses to hang here so they can pump their products in these hr.com polls. They've even signed a lot of us up to vote for them, with free products as incentives. :D:D

DJL said:
One of the problems with these kind of polls is people voting who haven't really compared it with the other contenders... and sometimes businesses voting in favor of their products, and etc, etc.

Man, it is so much fun to watch DJL try to bait people... :)

DJL said:
You really need to give it about a half years worth of use and only after you have compared it with the other mic contenders like the Studio Projects B1, Oktava MC-319, etc before you'll know which one you use the most and you can make-up your mind which mic you think is the over-all better mic.

I look forward to learning with what and where this mic will work.

Maybe one day I'll find "my mic", you know, the one that makes everyone think I have a nice voice. But I think I need some kind of magic lamp with a genie who has a few wishes to grant for that to happen. :)

The B1 is on my "to get" list. And maybe a few other SP mics.

JohnnyMan said:
Maybe one day I'll find "my mic", you know, the one that makes everyone think I have a nice voice. But I think I need some kind of magic lamp with a genie who has a few wishes to grant for that to happen. :)...
No, you don't need a genie, just around $4000. :D

I seem to go against popular opinion, but I thought the green color looked pretty cheezy, and the gold grill looked like the plastic stuff you used to get on model airplanes and cars. It LOOKED like a bad imitation to me. I was basically going to buy one because it basically costs pretty minimal, but decided to waste my money on something else because I thought it looked so sucky looking after seeing it for the first time.

I got a pair of fuzzy dice and hang them from the grill. Gives it that retro pimp street kinda vibe. :eek: :D

Back