MXL v67 VS sE X1

Nebo

Hey guys, I need a mic for my home studio as I'm starting recording covers - different genres (pop, rock, metal, country, jazz).

I have that external sound card or preamp (right?). I plugin the mic to it and connect it on USB with the computer. I process the signal later in Cubase.

I've been researching and two mics stood out - MXL v67 and sE X1. I've learned that v67 is a tube mic and sE is not, so they are not in the same category.

How would you compare these two? From technical, sound and practical side.

PS: sE x1 T actually is a tube mic but it's more expensive. How do you you compare it with MXL v67?

Thanks in advance!

MXL v67 and sE X1
Neither of those two are tube mics.
MXL V67G | RecordingHacks.com
SE Electronics X1 | RecordingHacks.com

I do have the V67G. It's what I would consider a 'warm' mic for vocals and sounds OK on my voice. Have no experience with the SE-X1, but do have an SE 2200a IIc that I like. Either mic you mentioned would be decent entry level mics, but may depend on how your voice sounds with them. If you can try them out prior to purchase that would be the best way to know what fits your voice best.

MXL v67 and sE X1
Neither of those two are tube mics.
MXL V67G | RecordingHacks.com
SE Electronics X1 | RecordingHacks.com

I do have the V67G. It's what I would consider a 'warm' mic for vocals and sounds OK on my voice. Have no experience with the SE-X1, but do have an SE 2200a IIc that I like. Either mic you mentioned would be decent entry level mics, but may depend on how your voice sounds with them. If you can try them out prior to purchase that would be the best way to know what fits your voice best.

Thank you for your answer arcaxis! I've read a review of sE X1 T on Voice Council and at the end they mentioned V67G as the comparable mic. That's why I wanted to compare them and in additon with regular X1.

I already own SM57 and have an idea of using both SM57 and that new mic I buy for recording covers.

In that sense, I would buy complementary mic - they say sE X1 is more for rock/metal, higher pitch, screaming and v67 a more warmer mid-section pop player.

For what singing style/genre is SM57 good for? Which one of these two models would be a good combination with SM57?

I wouldn't categorize a mic by genre of music; that is just too limiting and you can't pigeon-hole a mic like that. The mic fits the singer or the sound.

The condenser mics will work across many types of singers. Which one to get is kind of a gamble. I'm sure either will serve you well and will complement the 57. I have the MXL V57M and I believe it is very similar to the V67, warm or even dark. It fits my voice well. No experience with sE stuff, though I've heard them on songs here at HR and there was nothing wrong with them.

Kinda comes down to just picking one and going with it. Unless you can audition them before buying.

And if we take into consideration condenser sensitivity and recording room/space?

This is my potential recording space.

ROOM 1:
1.jpg
Mic would face completely closed curtains and computer would be on the same spot, behind the mic. Across the curtains there is a mirror, but I can cover it or curtains would do enough for embracing the sound enough? Side doors can be closed for the sake of preventing echoes from the room next to it.

ROOM 2:
2.jpg
Mic would face curtains and the couch. Across the curtains there is a wall and a door that would be closed. Side doors would be closed for the sake of preventing echoes and computer fan from the ROOM 1.

I have a pop filter and didn't plan buying reflection filter, but if needed I would. What room would you pick from these two? Do you have some other suggestions for easy sound isolation?

Not used the X1 but I've used a fair amount of budget condensers and currently own a really like the SE2200 (MKII multi pattern version). It's outstanding in the price bracket.

I've not used the v67 but have a fair bit os time on the sE X1 and think that, for the money, it's an outstanding mic. My experience with other MXL models hasn't been so positive but it's unfair to judge the v67 on the basis of other products. I suspect either would do the job for you--one might be slightly more to your taste than the other if you could try them but I know that's not always possible--and I doubt either would disappoint.

Regarding you room, my instinct is that you need a bit more soft stuff. Closing the curtains and standing facing them is a very good start and a trick I've used myself. However, some kind of absorbent screen behind you would also help. I've done this a couple of ways--a rough framework of PVC pipe with the right connectors and corners covered with a quilt or a mover's blanket can work and be dismantled and stored under a bed or couch. The other way I'm using now is that I found a wooden screen thing for $10 at a garage sale--this can stand in the room looking nice when not recording then covered with a quilt when I want to. I think the perforated would behind the quilt actually makes the deadening work better.

I realised that my description might be confusing so I just grabbed a photo--I'm in the midst of recording a bunch of voice overs so had it set up. Apologies for the garish duvet but it DOES help keep people awake.

Screen-Duvet-J_zps4kixenzx.jpg

Back