mxl or shure or rode

cat-eggs

mxl v69me
shure ksm44, or ksm32
rode ntk

wondering which of these would be best for me. i am looking for an ldc, and the one thing that i really don't want is high end that is really too bright. i don't like the way the studio projects ones sound and i will use that as a benchmark of my discontent. i will use the mic for singing and acoustic guitar. my voice is kind of high and weird. i am a male. if you have better suggestion tell me about it please. thanks

your friend,
cynthia rothrock

If you're concerned about the high end, I don't think NTK is going to make you very happy. Here's a mic that doesn't work for a lot of people but might rock on your voice- AKG Solidtube. Really- audition the sucker. Most people think it's too dark, but it might be just what you're looking for.-Richie

It depends upon your voice, what you like the mic to highlight, and your current needs...of the lot for MY needs, I prefer the Shures. But then I like the flatter response of those then the hyped Rodent. Never heard the MXL

I have a full range tenor voice and use the NTK on songs that don't get too high in my register. It sounds VERY nice on lower stuff but gets too "shimmery" (is that a word?) on songs that go too high. For those I use my SM7 or RE20 or Groove Tube MD1b. Audio Technica 4033 or 4047 is another great avenue to check out

Big Kenny said:
I have a full range tenor voice and use the NTK on songs that don't get too high in my register. It sounds VERY nice on lower stuff but gets too "shimmery" (is that a word?) on songs that go too high. For those I use my SM7 or RE20 or Groove Tube MD1b. Audio Technica 4033 or 4047 is another great avenue to check out

that's a new one to me;) But I agree, for high voices the NTK has a pronounced high end that isn't always flattering to those who sing in the higher registers.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but I recently bought a Nady RSM 2 ribbon mic and it works great on my wifes voice. Not in the least bit shrill but still huge sounding and because it's not a condenser I don't have to worry as much about room conditioning and background noise ... So pleased with it, I've ordered another so I can try them for overheads cause I think they'll really be nice for cymbals and still bring out the warmth of the kit :)

I use the Rode NTK and the MXL V69M pretty regularly for some voice work. For voice, I think the NTK captures everything... sometimes too much. That is, with less experienced talent that don't have good mic control, the NTK picks up a lot of the mouth sounds (particularly with extremely close work). However, the NTK is the mic that gets the most use. The V69 is nice, and I think of it like a less-sensitive NTK. Price-wise, I think the NTK may be better money spent than the MXL, but that is only my opinion based on my usage of the two. My recommendation would be to spring for the NTK.
But I also like getting John Fletcher's opinion about equipment (particularly mics) as he doesn'e get hung up on the hype or gossip about names/brands etc. He tends to speak from the application perspective and also knows the ethics of those building them.
SG

okay, thanks for the information yous guys

StevenGurg, i'm actually leaning toward the v69 now based partially on your information. even though you prefer the ntk, from what i hear it's kind of sparkly. and i really haven't heard a cheap sparkly mic that i personally like. a "less sensitive version" of it sounds maybe like a good idea to me. assuming john fletcher is a microphone reviewer, what does he think of it

mshilarious- helpful, thanks

everybody else- thanks a lot

cat-eggs said:
... the one thing that i really don't want is high end that is really too bright. i don't like the way the studio projects ones sound and i will use that as a benchmark of my discontent.

If this is the case, then this should be a really easy decision.

Stay far, far away from anything with an MXL or a Rode logo on it.

If you're not too thrilled with the Studio Projects, then I'm afraid mxl and Rode are just going to be more of the same. Become friends with the Shures you're looking at. Particularly the KSM-32. The shures are far, far smoother and less hyped in the highs without being in the least bit dull. This is an extremely easy call; about as close a thing to a no-brainer as you can get. You'll thank yourself later.

okay thanks for the resonse. isn't the mxl v69me supposed to be unlike the other budget chinese ldcs by virtue of its mellower high end? i've only read a couple of reviews of it but i think that's what they said. that the highs are less harsh. now i'm confused. have you used this particular model?.thanks

Just go try some of these models out for yourself, and it should be obvious. What you are describing in your post is the difference between the Shure and Audio Technica models versus the Chinese crop (including the 69).

The Chinese stuff tends to be brighter, sometimes harsh on the wrong source; that's just what they sound like. The Audio Technicas and the Shures tend to be more natural-sounding; not as harsh. There's an obvious difference after you use them repeatedly.

chessrock said:
Just go try some of these models out for yourself, and it should be obvious. What you are describing in your post is the difference between the Shure and Audio Technica models versus the Chinese crop (including the 69).

The Chinese stuff tends to be brighter, sometimes harsh on the wrong source; that's just what they sound like. The Audio Technicas and the Shures tend to be more natural-sounding; not as harsh. There's an obvious difference after you use them repeatedly.

I dunno, chessrock. Sort of an unfair blanket statement to make about Chinese-manufactured mics. The V69 is nowhere near harsh. Many ADK's are quite smooth. And some AT's - like the 4033 and 4040 can be harsh and grainy in cases. Shures are not always smooth. No manufacturer's line of mics are totally bulletproof. Some AT mics are better than others. Some Shure mics are better than others. Some MXL mics are better than others. The V69 is one of MXL's best mics, IMO, and is the polar opposite of the bright, hyped mics made in China. And would easily get picked over many of the AT and Shure mics if I was looking for a classic dark, colored unhyped sound.

BTW, cynthia - you wouldn't happen to be the MA cynthia?

I just bought the CAD VSM and I'm very happy. American Musical is selling them for $459.00 righy now which is a still.

Back