MXL DRK (Direct Recording Kit)

Lalythil

Hi everyone!

I've got a question: Does anyone have any experience with this mic?

what i've found thusfar is that it's basically a mxl 990 membrane with MXL 603 electronics combined with internal powersupply(9v batt)

which makes it pretty handy out in the field, but also might be good for my setup as i still use a line6 sound input with only a 1/4" input (a line6 studio GX to be exact and yes i know.. i should upgrade to a proper I/O and i will, in due time.. i promise:P )

anyways.. i'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this mic, or whether people have some other suggestions for other internally powered mics which aren't too costly (about 150 bucks maximum) or if there's some experience with other set-ups.. as i've seen something like a XLR to usb converter thingy by MXL (the MXL MicMate)

or if the Blue Snowball USB mic is any good

thnx in advance :)

---- edit---

YES, i KNOW there is another thread called MXL DRK vs MXL 990 or something alike..

however that thread just didn't talk about the DRK after 2 posts.. it simply shifted to whether the MXL 990was a good mic or not and which other mics were good..

but i simply want to know if the DRK is worth it's money or not or should i get a preamp+XLR-->1/4"convertor + 30 bucks condensor mic (superlux and behringer have condensor mics for about 30 bucks)

i only have 100 bucks to use at this moment soo.. ;) and i may upgrade with better mics and equipment in about a year or so.. but i just want to get started already ;)

---edit 2-----

indeed it's a DESKTOP recording kit, NOT DIRECT R K
my mistake :)

Last edited:
oops yh.. it does.. xD my mistake xD
somehow i keep confusing those two words.. >.<

anywayss.. a little update..
i've increased the available budget by 100 bucks.. soo.. i might be able to get a reasonable I/O with a decent condensor mic.. so now i'll investigate more and other options.. still i would like to know about that DRK.. simply because it's a lot easier to bring that to a bandpractice and hook it up to just any recorder and record a demo and see what it is we caught.. ;) and if i could use that same mic in a studio setting with good results.. even better :)

besides that i will get a popscreen, a micstand and a shure PG58 (available over here as a set for 60 euro's.. so.. i'll go get that.. as that stand alone would be 49 euros (yeah go sales! :P )

oohh that's that lil stereo recorder thingy isn't it?

yh.. i know i shoud.. xD unfortunately i haven't got the money for such a thing... yet.. xD

anyways..

so far so good:

I'll just update in this topic about what i'm planning to get.. just to keep track and to be able to get some suggestions. :)

what i've got now:

budget: 300

I/O:
- M-audio fast track pro (149)

mics:

- MXL 990 (80)
OR
- MXL DRK (80)
OR
- MXL 770 (70)
OR
- Superlux CM H 8 BH (70)
OR
- Superlux CM H8 CH (90)
OR
- MXL 550/551 package (100)
OR
-MXL 2006 (100)

accessories:

- Popscreen(10)
- Mic stand (15)
- cables (10)

btw what i'm going to use it for would be: vocals, accoustic guitar and ukulele :)

Last edited:
Plus one on the Zoom

Hi,

I have a Zoom H4 that I use all the time. I got it for about $200. The H4n is a little more expensive but you should get it even if only for the manual level control on the side of the machine.

The condensor mics on the Zoom are surprisingly good. When you add mics in the future they will work with it. And you can choose from any phantom powered mics and not limit yourself to battery power.

The Zoom is also a stereo interface. So once you realize what you're getting it doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

so the zoom H4N can be used instead of the fast track pro?

hmmm.. that sounds like an interesting option..
i'll look into it

thank you :)

---edit---

it;s a little bit above my budget..
perhaps in the future i might consider it :)

UPDATE + review

Ok Sooo..

i've been to the stores and got my set-up

it now consists of an M-audio fast track pro
and as a mic i bought the MXL DRK (desktop recording kit)

honestly this is my first better quality mic and i've got to say that i'm really pleasntly surprised but what this little thing is capable of.

first the versatility: since it has an internal powersource you can simply hook it up on any mixer without phantom.. also you can simply hook it up to any 1/8" input

it picks up sound pretty good..

however:when i play guitar accoustically i notice that i have to put the mic really close to get a decent input. Now i can't really compare it to other mics, but that is the only thing that annoys me a little bit..

for singing however i really like this mic. I can sing softly and it picks it up really clear and easy.

soo yeah.. i can't compare to other mics.. but for starting out i really like it!

(btw: yh.. it's a double post.. i know.. but it's been a week since that last post.. so i'm gonna do it anyways :P)

Back