MXL 990 way too much fizz

Willyc510

So I am recording a MXL 990 through a Tascam US-122mkII on Pro Tools on my PC. I'm getting some really ugly constant fizz sound. It is like my gain is too high but if I turn it down then I can't hear my Vocalist. I've heard other people on youtube using my mic and getting a real nice deep sound but I can't get that. My sound is somewhat weak and has that constant fizz.
I'm thinking it is my audio interface. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Hi,
That MXL model mic is normally pretty good for the price.
Have your tested you mic cables? Have you problem solved and checked where the 'hiss' might be coming from in your signal path?
Is the phatom power on and working properly?
It could be a faulty MXL, this does happen.
Any chance of testing the Mic on a friends system?
I have read review that this Tascam can introduce buzz and hiss...you might want to check it out or return it.
Anyway, all the best, nothing worse than signal noise that cannot be troubleshot! :(

It is like my gain is too high but if I turn it down then I can't hear my Vocalist.

I'm thinking this is your problem. Are you clipping on the interface?? If so, you're recording too hot and need to turn the gain down on the mic at the interface. If you can't hear your vocalist, then that is a different problem you need to solve.

I didn't hear anything sounding bad in the clip, but you said you covered it up.

Cannot hear what your issue is... perhaps provide an example where you didn't remove or attempt to remove the problem? How close is your vocalist to the mic?

Back