MXL 990 problem with bad hum:(

Damooo

Hey,

Before I start, I want to just say that I'm totally nowbie in topic of microphones and MXL 990 is my 1st microphone.
So like i mentioned I use MXL 990 with Interface behringer u-phoria um2 and it's plugged to my PC. Overall mic is very nice, I recorded few things and the quality was satisfying for this price, but there is very bad hum(link to my test recording in attachment) and I don't know how to reduce it;/ I thought it is because of my loud PC, but i also plugged this setup to laptop and was the same problem. Is this can be cable problem? Please help.

BR,
Damooo

View attachment test 123 .mp3

I don't notice any 'hum' in the clip you posted. The quiet gaps between your voice has some very low level hiss, but not really that noticeable either. Could the hum perhaps be in what or how you're playing the mp3 back through? Are you using headphones or monitors(speakers) when you hear it?

My bad, I gave you wrong sample. This one is with mic lvl 100 in windows options and you can hear very loud backgroud noise, which I want to reduce. Is there any way to do that? Or It has to be like that?

Attachments

• test..mp3
    173.5 KB · Views: 38
I hear the noise in both clips. There is the usual expected hiss as was said, but I hear a short of modulated whine going on too.

You have a direct monitoring option so the first thing I would do is enable that, quit your DAW, pop the headphones on, and listen for the noise.
If you can hear yourself, and you should be able to, turn the headphone output up good and loud so you can be certain whether the noise is there or not.

If the noise is present then that means the issue is happening at the input stage in the analog realm, before the computer, and is most likely interference from something in the room.
Follow that through by taking your setup (on laptop) elsewhere to test. Even better...take it outside. :)

If that eliminates the noise then you're looking for a source of interference.
Mains transformers, cordless devices, routers, phones, bluetooth stuff, etc.

It's a starting point. Let us know how you get on. :)

I have the mxl 990 and 991, really appreciate these mics these days for very low noise actually, in fact, i was just looking on line to see if i can get another 991, but i think they must be discontinued or something

Back