mxl 990 as OH?

mcolling

What do you think?? As far as I can tell, the mxl 990 should be a fine OH for it's cost, as good as the B1.

Well, it's basically the same as an mxl-603 -- which some people like as overheads. Some don't. They tend to be a bit bright ... sometimes grating with loud cymbals.

hmmm. that would definitely be unfortunate. see- i've got one on the way that i'm gonna be using on acoustic guitar and vox, but i might need to use it as an OH.

what does everyone think about using a 990 alongside a b1 as OHs? I know, I know-- you're not supposed to use two different mics as OHs cuz they throw of the stereo picture- but i'm broke, you know. it can't be THAT bad, can it?

No, the 990's not as good as the SP B1 on OH's. Not even close.

But the 990 does make a great snare mic.

mcolling said:
what does everyone think about using a 990 alongside a b1 as OHs? I know, I know-- you're not supposed to use two different mics as OHs cuz they throw of the stereo picture- but i'm broke, you know. it can't be THAT bad, can it?

I'd just use the single B1 placed over the center of the kit - instead of a B1/990 OH stereo pair. You can make some great tracks with a single good OH mic.

But, hey, try 'em out. You'll have both mics there, so you can decide for yourself.

Last edited:
cheers! appreciate the opinions.

how about this:

use the b1 as an OH and then use the 990 as a room mic to get a bit more room on the drums? is the 990 okay as a room mic?

I only have a SP B-1 and a 990 and some 57's and 58's. I used the 2 LDC's for room Mic's at a live gig (with the shures on amp cabs), and the 990 worked good for a room mike the B-1 is better ( it just sounds warmer to me) but the 990 seemed louder.My recorder was a BOSS BR-1600 (8 tracks live).

Back