MXL 990/MXL 991 Package any opinions

gdavi1

MXL 990/MXL 991 Recording Microphone Package

Does any one know anything about this package? Is it a good value?

Marshall MXL Package

GDavi1,

It really depends upon the application. You won't buy a sports car to go 4-wheeling, right?

I am a voice over in South Carolina. When I built my home studio, I set a few priorities.

1. A big MAC computer.
2. A quality, albeit entry level studio condenser mic.
3. Monitors and so on

The Marshall package is a great value. For a mid-diaphragm condenser, it has a nice warm fell in the low to mid and doesn't get too crisp in the hi-mid to mid freqs. I've used the Instrument mic, the 991 to record some natural sounds and a few acoustic guitar players and it seems to work well. Post Production is where all the magic happen though. If the recording environment is fairly clean and your gear is set up right, you can tweak out a very nice end product in post.

Since my business is talking and not singing I have no experience using it for sung vocals or as a amp mic.

For the price, it's a good mic. If you have budget room, consider moving up as high as you can, like the Shure SM7B, Microtech Gefell M930, Neumann TLM103, Brauner Phantom. All great Voice Over mics.

I'm working my A** off cheap and scraping pennies so I can buy Neumann U-87 40th anniversary. It's only 4 grand, give or take!

Hope this helps....v/r....cdh

I got the package for $70 at Guitar Center - I've heard of it going for $50 there more recently, but haven't seen it. I record music at home.

I use the 991 (I also picked up a pair of omni capsules on ebay for $35, so I could use another 991). I do not use the 990 -- mine sounds noticeably worse than my other budget condensers - kind of boxy. Sounds bad by itself, and completely goes to poo in a mix. May just be my unit, of course - it's the only one I've tried.

But -- I'm still glad I have the 990, since I plan to perform surgery on it to improve its sound - I have practically no experience with this sort of thing, and so I'm likely to seriously damage the first mic I go to work on -- if that's the 990, no big deal :)

I know someone who has two sets of these and their ok. the recordings came out very good. So I guess that says they can work.

with a little eq and compression, probably can get them to sound veby gooud.

I bought mine on black friday for $50.00 for the pair, and I have tried em a bit... Be sure to plug them in and turn the phantom power and gain on, and then let em sit over night... I did that and I think they opened up a bit from burning in....

They sounded ok when I first plugged them in (just out of the box and fresh from the store) but after a few hours the sound started to warm up and mellow out a bit....

I like to use the 991 on the guitar neck, and the 990 on the bridge panned accordingly and with the right gain, they sounded pretty good!

Good vocals, a little cleaner than my v67G maybe... not as warm in the low mids I think.... I have a 960 in the mail so I will see what happens with that... the 990/991 pack I bought for guitar, and once in a while to mic up a bongo or djembe live.....

i just picked up this package the other day and i am pleased as punch with it for the price. i traded in my behringer 3 channel keyboard amp (what the HELL was i thinking!!??) for them and it was without a doubt a great trade. plus if Mr. Gerst approves, chances are they're a good deal! ;)

thanks everyone! I might move up to 993 package with 990 one because of the upgrade and second because of the added shock mount.

Back