MXL 990 Cardioid Condenser Mic- Any good?

Without you trying one out or hearing you, there's no absolutely reliable method to tell how well most condensers will work for you.

In addition to other options in this price range like the Studio Projects B1 or
the Marshall V67, there is the Shure SM57 or EV 635a, for example.

Chris

I got one of these as an "freebie" from something I bought off of Musician's friend. I have a lot of quality microphones and I must say that the MXL 990 sounds pretty good when I mike my acoustic guitar, it's not bad on drum overheads either. I would advise using it for vocals though, it's really got a snappy high end on it and you might end up with some harshness. You mentioned the SM57 and the V67...go for either one of those, espescially if you're looking for a good 'all around' microphone. One can NEVER have enough 57's!

The 990 is a medium diamater capsule in what looks like a large diameter capsule body. If you want a LDC type sound either the MXL V67G or V57M would be better cheap mic choices from MXL, the latter might take some searching.

I personally do not like the SM57 very much on vocals. I'd borrow one from a friend (believe me, you know someone that has one) before you buy one.

DTBlalock said:
I wanted to know what everyone thought about this. I am going to be doing some more recording later on and we really want it to sound a little better vocal wise. We are no mic experts so opinions would really help. The main reason I am showing this is because the price seems to good to be true. Thanks, Derek

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8/g=rec/s=mics/search/detail/base_pid/273156/
Like the B1, the MXL990 also sucks eggs on vocals IMO... the Marshall MXL-V67 is in the same price range... at least audition the V67G before you laydown the money for a B1 or 990.

I have a v67, I guess there's no need for a 990? I guess I'll go get a SDC condensor since I don't have one of those yet. I would guess that the 990 would have more high end than the v67? and maybe would a SDC have more?

junplugged said:
I have a v67, I guess there's no need for a 990? I guess I'll go get a SDC condensor since I don't have one of those yet. I would guess that the 990 would have more high end than the v67? and maybe would a SDC have more?
It completely depends on the SDC. Some are bright, some are neutral, some are dark. It just depends on the mic.

that's interesting, I was kind of assuming smaller element, more in tune w/ higher freqs. But then there's the electronics.... think I'll go bk to that sticky faq and read up.

Back