mxl 990 + alesis multimix + roland multitracker = NOISE!!!

lurgan liar

Jimmy Page XXVIII
can someone help me ...i am trying to record an acoustic guitar with a mxl 990 using an alesis mixer (as its the only thing i have with phantom power)and my roland multitracker...

i need some advce on mic placement as i've been told numerous different ways of doing it? ....how high i should be setting the gain on the mixer? - the mix volume on the mixer? ...and the gain settings on my multitracker? ....

i've been picking up way too much noise .....and need some help :)

thanks

Are you tracking around a computer or a/c or refrigerator? It's very possible that the mic is just picking up noise that's already in the room. Otherwise it may be a gainstaging issue...

What roland is it?

Most Likely it's the MXL and mixer... or like OneRoom said, it could be the a/c or something like that.

applejax said:
What roland is it?

Most Likely it's the MXL and mixer... or like OneRoom said, it could be the a/c or something like that.

Its the Roland Vs880 - i get a really clean sound by just plugging dynamic mics into the roland rather than going through the mixer ...so i am guessing i must have the gain turned up too high on the mixer or somethin ...i'll experiment with this for a while and hopefully will find out what i am doing wrong

The 990 will pretty much pickup anything in the room. It's like having 2 microphones pointing in opposite directions. Make sure that there is NO noise coming from anywhere else in the room...or outside of the room.

Back