MXL 770 really bad hum

Domso

Hello!
I have a problem with my MXL 770 mic
Yesterday that was all ok.
But now i hear so many background/static noise from the MXL 770.
I attached file with that hum.
[MP3]View attachment mxl 770 hum.mp3[/MP3]
View attachment mxl 770 hum.mp3
What can i say more..
It is not problem with mixer or cable.. i was connect mxl 990 with the same cable, mixer, and input channel
and 990's haven't problem.

Could you tell me what happend?
How to fix it?

Thanks in advance

I can't hear any hum - but there is some noise, once I bring the gain right up. Are you sure the phantom power is functioning properly - this kind of noise is often the result of low voltage. What device provides the power? It can also be caused by dodgy cable/connectors that suddenly offer a high resistance path on one of the XLR pins - a partial short, dry joint or even a heavy flight case damaging the internal insulation. You have an MXL 990 that works fine on the same cable? This sadly suggests the problem is in the mic - and perhaps the power supply issue is inside. If this is the case, then you have to pull it apart and fix it - or find somebody else to do it for you.

There is a very, very small possibility it could be power supply or cable - two mics of similar design that both require 3mA of current - it's feasible that the 'faulty' one has a fault requiring more current to be drawn which the pus cannot supply and the 48V falls - this can cause that rumbly windy sound.

Either way, this one does sound like a real fault - sorry.

Behringer Xenyx Q1002USB provides Phantom Power.

Yes, 990's work fine with same cable.
I tried use other XLR cables, but result is the same.

It's hard to tell where a voice would be relative to this noise but given how loud I had to turn up your clip, I'm thinking maybe nothing's wrong?
There's some hiss and some rumble.
The hiss is sort of to be expected as long as it's pretty low relative to the source.
It does still pick up input, right?

The rumble could either be your computer, a fan in the room...something like that,
or it could be because the mic was exposed to humidity or moisture.

If you think the latter could be the case, try putting it into a loose fitting plastic baggie with dry rice and store the whole thing somewhere dry over night.

It's not fun or my computer or other things.. I'm pretty sure.
You know what?
I don't really know, but now is everythink ok.
I turn on phantom power and decrease volume on mixer and that way mic was turn on.
I go look some movie after few hours.. and? Magicialy mic come back to normal noise
Maybe solution is, I close window in room, make some hot air in room, and mic stay in this atmosphere.

Thanks you for help!

Ok, fair enough. :)

If the issue comes back or you think something is wrong, please post a single clip but with a good 10 seconds of background noise only and then some normal level speech for comparison.

That sounds 100% normal to me.
You'd have to turn that clip up to uncomfortable levels to be able to really notice any hiss or ambient noise.

If you're hearing a substantial hum then there may be some issue with your playback system,
but it would be fairly obvious because you'd hear it when playing back anything; Not just clips that you've recorded.

Last edited:
Back