MXL 770 condenser Mic Good or Bad?

71D

I'm on a set budget that I can't break and i found this black beauty for a good price
but is it good?

Anybody on here use this mic personally? should I stay away from this Mic? (I hope not lol)

My purpose: record rap vocals <--- yea I rap and stuff

The MXL 770 is the same basic mic as the MXL 990 (the 770 adds rolloff and attenuation switches).

It uses a 22mm small diameter capsule in a three-layer mesh headbasket. While this mic could be used to record anything that makes sound, folks usually think of large diaphragm mics when it comes to vocal duties.

In its stock form the 770 / 990 is a bit thin, strident and bright.

so the larger the diaphragm the better okay gotcha thanks homie rep given

Not necessarily. It all depends on the vocalist or instrument itself. There is no 'one for all' mic for anything. That being said, some work better than others for some things. I know, really vague, but it is true. This also does not mean that a condenser mic is best either. Dynamics are what I use most for male vocals.

From my experience, though limited with these, I was not a fan of the MXL's at all. In fact, for male rap vocals, I would stay away from condensers (small or large) altogether. At least in a small/untreated room. The reasons range from vocal control of the performer, to the treatment of the room that vocals are being recorded in. I am just assuming that most that wish to buy a inexpensive microphone, probably haven't properly treated their room in a way that would make a condenser mic sound it's best. Well, unless that is why the budget is lower. Condenser mics have the ability to pick up everything in a room, including the room it-self's, ability to screw up frequency response.

This being said, there are exceptions to every rule, especially when there are no rules. Just opinions. Mine is just one opinion, though it is based on some experience, no one can tell you what works for your particular situation. That is where 'your' judgement comes in. You are the producer, you decide. :)

Not necessarily. It all depends on the vocalist or instrument itself. There is no 'one for all' mic for anything. That being said, some work better than others for some things. I know, really vague, but it is true. This also does not mean that a condenser mic is best either. Dynamics are what I use most for male vocals.

From my experience, though limited with these, I was not a fan of the MXL's at all. In fact, for male rap vocals, I would stay away from condensers (small or large) altogether. At least in a small/untreated room. The reasons range from vocal control of the performer, to the treatment of the room that vocals are being recorded in. I am just assuming that most that wish to buy a inexpensive microphone, probably haven't properly treated their room in a way that would make a condenser mic sound it's best. Well, unless that is why the budget is lower. Condenser mics have the ability to pick up everything in a room, including the room it-self's, ability to screw up frequency response.

This being said, there are exceptions to every rule, especially when there are no rules. Just opinions. Mine is just one opinion, though it is based on some experience, no one can tell you what works for your particular situation. That is where 'your' judgement comes in. You are the producer, you decide. :)

thanks again if there was a thanks button i'd hit it lol yea i was doing some research and mxl are the least favorite it said people only bout it because it was cheap, and you know the saying You get what you pay for. and yea my room pretty packed meaning small so the acoustic feel is good, plus i record in a corner so yea lol

so the larger the diaphragm the better okay gotcha thanks homie rep given

Did you really just call Mr Joly Homie.

"I record in a corner."
You might want to rethink this. A lot of experimentation and some room treatment will go a long way to making your vocals sound better.
I guess your trying to eliminate room noise by recording in a corner.

Back