Thread: MXL 770 condenser Mic Good or Bad?

71D
    71D is offline Newbie
    Thanks

MXL 770 condenser Mic Good or Bad?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm on a set budget that I can't break and i found this black beauty for a good price
    but is it good?

Anybody on here use this mic personally? should I stay away from this Mic? (I hope not lol)

My purpose: record rap vocals <--- yea I rap and stuff

MichaelJoly is offline Banned
    Thanks
    The MXL 770 is the same basic mic as the MXL 990 (the 770 adds rolloff and attenuation switches).

It uses a 22mm small diameter capsule in a three-layer mesh headbasket. While this mic could be used to record anything that makes sound, folks usually think of large diaphragm mics when it comes to vocal duties.

In its stock form the 770 / 990 is a bit thin, strident and bright.

71D
    71D is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    so the larger the diaphragm the better okay gotcha thanks homie rep given

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 71D View Post
    Not necessarily. It all depends on the vocalist or instrument itself. There is no 'one for all' mic for anything. That being said, some work better than others for some things. I know, really vague, but it is true. This also does not mean that a condenser mic is best either. Dynamics are what I use most for male vocals.

From my experience, though limited with these, I was not a fan of the MXL's at all. In fact, for male rap vocals, I would stay away from condensers (small or large) altogether. At least in a small/untreated room. The reasons range from vocal control of the performer, to the treatment of the room that vocals are being recorded in. I am just assuming that most that wish to buy a inexpensive microphone, probably haven't properly treated their room in a way that would make a condenser mic sound it's best. Well, unless that is why the budget is lower. Condenser mics have the ability to pick up everything in a room, including the room it-self's, ability to screw up frequency response.

This being said, there are exceptions to every rule, especially when there are no rules. Just opinions. Mine is just one opinion, though it is based on some experience, no one can tell you what works for your particular situation. That is where 'your' judgement comes in. You are the producer, you decide.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

71D
    71D is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Not necessarily. It all depends on the vocalist or instrument itself. There is no 'one for all' mic for anything. That being said, some work better than others for some things. I know, really vague, but it is true. This also does not mean that a condenser mic is best either. Dynamics are what I use most for male vocals.

From my experience, though limited with these, I was not a fan of the MXL's at all. In fact, for male rap vocals, I would stay away from condensers (small or large) altogether. At least in a small/untreated room. The reasons range from vocal control of the performer, to the treatment of the room that vocals are being recorded in. I am just assuming that most that wish to buy a inexpensive microphone, probably haven't properly treated their room in a way that would make a condenser mic sound it's best. Well, unless that is why the budget is lower. Condenser mics have the ability to pick up everything in a room, including the room it-self's, ability to screw up frequency response.

This being said, there are exceptions to every rule, especially when there are no rules. Just opinions. Mine is just one opinion, though it is based on some experience, no one can tell you what works for your particular situation. That is where 'your' judgement comes in. You are the producer, you decide.
    thanks again if there was a thanks button i'd hit it lol yea i was doing some research and mxl are the least favorite it said people only bout it because it was cheap, and you know the saying You get what you pay for. and yea my room pretty packed meaning small so the acoustic feel is good, plus i record in a corner so yea lol

kip4 is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 71D View Post
    Did you really just call Mr Joly Homie.

"I record in a corner."
    You might want to rethink this. A lot of experimentation and some room treatment will go a long way to making your vocals sound better.
    I guess your trying to eliminate room noise by recording in a corner.
    Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast

Thread Information