MXL 770 or AT2020.

aesrockit

First and foremost, I am new to home studio recording and acquiring components... I have no knowledge of the industry standards nor am I willing to invest money on top-tier microphones.

I recently spent some time doing research, concerning condenser microphones that would suit my needs; home music recording (vocals only!!!) and the occasional podcast and voice over. during my well rounded research, I have stumbled upon two microphones that I really am attracted to aesthetically, and seeing that I never tested either microphones (MXL 770 and Audio-Technica AT2020), I would really like some help!

My question is as simple as follows; would either microphones deliver a decent quality sound? Are they similar in terms of performance? And since my room/studio is not treated, which of the mics pick more noise levels?

NOTE: I own a Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

AT2020 is a decent mic to start out with and it would be the one I would recommend. I've got one and use it occasionally. Get a pop filter also.
Audio-Technica AT2020 | RecordingHacks.com

Not at all familiar with the MXL770, but I do have a few MXL mics that are OK. THe MXL770 an SDC (small diaphragm condenser) in a body that gives the impression it's an LDC. If you note the frequency graph in the link below, you'll notice the sizable bump on the right side (compare this to the AT2020 graph in the link above). This sort of indicates the high frequencies get a boost. To much high frequency boost may be something you might not like.
MXL 770 | RecordingHacks.com

Most any condenser will be susceptible to picking up noise in a room. Some here will suggest a dynamic mic if the room is not to be treated. My own room isn't treated and I get by with some reasonable recordings. You could get a condenser mic to start with and if you find the room needs treatment work on that as needed.

Or even better, notice how when you click on the graph for either of those mics, a pop-up opens up where you can type in the name of the other mic and compare the two graphs together. (Not that seeing the frequency plots by themselves will give you the same understanding as listening to differences between the two mics at first...but it's a handty tool RecordingHacks provides.)

Back