mxl 603 vs. Behringer ECM8000

frist44

I'm looking to use these mics for both drum overheads and stereo acoustic guitar micing.

The mxl 603 is just about twice as much as the Behringers; however, in essence they're both relatively cheap.

Is it worth the extra money for the 603's? Or will the behringers give similar results?

If the sound is different, what are the major differences one would notice when comparing the two?

Thanks,
Brandon

As drum overheads, the Behringer ECM8000 is a good cost-efficient way to go, and it wouldn't be bad for miking an acoustic guitar in mono.

If you really need to mike an acoustic guitar in stereo, I'd spring for the MXL 603S's. The larger diaphragm of the 603S will give you more signal, better stereo separation from the cardioid pattern, and less noise.

I would agree with Harvey, spring for the MXL 603s. I personally wasn't incredibly pleased with the ECM 8000's for overheads (could have been my room sound I suppose???) Sound wise...I think it would depend on what you are miking. When I used the ECM's for overheads they seemed a little bit darker and not as "tight" as the MXL's.

I've got the 603s too. I like them. But then again, they're the only mics I've got besides a sm57 and a marshal dynamic. I think alot of times when people say "I love my [insert inexpensive mic/monitor/preamp], its the best ever!" its the only they've ever really had.

Back