MXL 2010 for $50

Wanted a multi-pattern mic .... Now I've got one on its way. Seems the high end (9K center) is rather hyped on this mic, will see how it works out. Regular price is $150, guessing they are probably coming out with a new model to replace it.

I think the multi pattern requires the dual-faced capsule so that can make a change to the cardioid too.
My shure ksm study seemed to lead to that being written about why one could sound different.
makes sense. It reduces some bass boom to have the back of the capsule covered is my understanding.
not sure if Im correct but it seems like the old speaker cabinet theory of a sealed cabinet vs a ported/open back cabinet.
the multi-pattern capsule is more like the sealed cabinet due to the back side being a front side which...ok i give up..

The description says it has 2 diaphragms. I will try to remember to read the instructions when it arrives!

U87 are dual diagphram, etc... so that might put the MXL2010 capsule in that "family".

Theres only two types as far as I know, Single and Dual.

$50...thats crazy cheap pricing.

Wanted a multi-pattern mic .... Now I've got one on its way. Seems the high end (9K center) is rather hyped on this mic, will see how it works out. Regular price is $150, guessing they are probably coming out with a new model to replace it.

Hopefully the larger diaphragm wil compensate somewhat for any over-hyping.

Paj
8^)

well..... any recording time yet?
curious if you notice a difference form your single side capsules.

Mic arrived on schedule Friday.,
Fairly large box, with the mic in a sealed plastic wrap (good thing, it was cold, so I left it sealed up until today), a zippered pouch for the mic, plus a foam windscreen in a box, and a shockmount. I like the design of AKG P220 shockmount better - the mic is locked into the mount with a threaded fitting, the MXL uses clamping pressure by a metal clip on the outside (press the two pieces together to loosen). The 3-way, low-cut and pad switches all end up right next to the edge of the mount, so they're hard to get to.

Put them side-by-side for the first test - recording my Taylor. Could discern no difference in sound from the two - a subtle frequency difference can be seen on a graph, but not much. I also tried a 2-mic set up with my AKG at fret 12, the MXL at lower bout, both about 12" away. I don't think the MXL picked up as much of the low end as when I have tried this method with a cheap pencil cardiode or a dynamic mic.
Also tried a mid-side set up with the MXL set up as figure 8. My room is probably not ideal for that set up - carpet on floor, and a lot of rockwool. I could hear what the MXL was picking up, just don't think it enhanced what the AKG was getting in its normal position.
On vocals, went back to side-by-side, recorded a bunch of tracks. Again a very subtle frequency response can be seen on the graphs, but very hard to hear the difference. The AKG seems to have a slight peak in the 1-2K range in comparison to the MXL which has a slight peak in the 5K-6K range. The peak I saw on the MXL spec sheet around 9K did not make itself noticed either with my vocals or the guitar recording (nothing to speak of up in that range, I assume).
Summing the two signals does have a nice benefit of accenting the 1-2K plus 5-6K range in my vocals, but nothing that couldn't be done with either mic and a touch of EQ.

the dual diaphragm capsule is said to get rid of proximity effect...did you notice any of that between the two?

the dual diaphragm capsule is said to get rid of proximity effect...did you notice any of that between the two?

This would be very true in the 'omni' pattern, but in 'cardioid' mode it is just not as pronounced compared to single diaphragm mics. Probably affects proximity of the 'figure 8' pattern as well.

The Shure KSM42 is a dual diaphragm cardioid only mic primarily for vocals.
Dual Diaphragm Design - Control of Proximity Effect | Shure Technical FAQ

If you're up on your calculus and a bit of physics....
http://www.shure.com/publications/us_pro_dual_diaphragm_paper_ea.pdf

I had a single pop filter set up about 4" in front of both mics, and was consistent in how I positioned myself, so no difference between mics.

Back