MXL 2001 vs. MXL 990 for vocals/amps

SMX_Dizzy

I'm back with more questions. So there's 2 packages that I'm interested in, both for $99: one that's a 603 and a 2001, and the other that's a 990 and a 991. I already made a thread for which (between the 603 and 991) would be better for drum overheads, so now I'm curious which would be better for vocals and/or amps? For vocals and amps, are either of these better than the Studio Projects B3? That's what I'm pretty determined to buy for vocals and amps, but if I got two mics (either the 990's or the 2001's) I could use one for vocals and one for amps.

Thanks for any input.

Going by what most say on the boards the 2001 is a big NO NO, but I'm just going off of others opinions. I personally haven't used the 2001, but have used the 990 which is a pretty decent mic. I own the 2003 and it's a pretty cool mic for vocals, it's on the bright side. It should be able to be had pretty cheap these days.

I guess my main question in a condensed form is: Would it be worth it to get two 990's/2001's for technically $75, or just to get one B3?

Mxl 2001

Hi,

I recorded a vocal with my 2001. I set up an EV PL80 behind a pop screen and placed the 2001 higher and aimed it at my forehead as suggested by Harvey Gerst.

I got clean quiet recordings from both mics. The 2001 sounded very much like the PL80 which is a fantastic vocal mic. Maybe a little brighter.

I used both mics in the vocal mix. So adding the 2001 improved on the PL80.

I could have used either mic alone. They both recorded well enough. I just got a little extra fullness mixing in both.

I did not like the 2001 as well on acoustic guitar. I do however use the 603 on acoustic guitar all the time.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

We've used all the 200X series MXL mics, and found all of them to be pretty crappy. The 990's a cool little mic - it's really a SDC. The 1006 can even be decent. V69ME is very cool - if you don't get one of the noisy ones - as they seemed to have run into some QC problems with that one. 603's a solid budget SDC - same capsule as 990. The V67 - while not being all that great - does offer a chance to get into a darker, very colored mic for pretty cheap.

For vocals and amps, are either of these [ 2001, 990 ] better than the Studio Projects B3?

Well, for one, both the 2001 and 990 are cardioid-only. The B3 will give you cardioid, omni, and figure-8 patterns to play around with. I also think the B3's just a better all-around mic than either the 2001 or 990. Although the 990's still a cool little mic. The B1 and B3 have become well-known and popular budget workhorse mics - but mostly on instruments. While they can work for vocals, that's not their strongest application.

If you're going to get two mics, you're better off getting two mics that complement each other - with each of them having a quality the other doesn't. If you want to go with MXL - and go cheap - you'd be better off getting a colored V67 and a more neutral 990.

If you plan on buying more mics down the road, the B3 would prove the more solid investment in a mic collection, IMO. If you wanna get two mics for cheap - for whatever reason - and stick with those, the V67 and 990 wouldn't be a bad way to go.

My 2¢.

I ever hear very bad things about MXL 2001.

Yesterday, a friend send some songs he´s producing (to score).

I don´t believe when he saids that uses the 2001 to record vocals, backing vocals and acoustic guitars.Sounds very good, warm, fat (well...the guy is a terrific singer,guitar player and producer and uses an Avalon 737, and the mic is the 2001).

Last edited:
Hi,
I got the 2001/603 pack and have always loved the 603.I soon sold on the 2001 way to bright and harsh for my ears but i'm only a learner in the recording side of things.At fist i thought it was ok than had a friend female singer very thin sort of voice but loud at times and it didn't cut it with her.
next time she was back with her band used sm57 way way better.
Cheers Luke.

Back