Multi-Pattern microphone choices

lawbass

Hi all, I am in the market for a multi-pattern good quality recording microphone just for the studio. Any suggestions/and stay away froms? Thanks much.

I am also.Probobly use it in cartioid most but would like to have the other patterns for group vox also.It would be nice to try MS techniqe too.So far for my buget..It looks like the a toss up between the AT4050 and the KSM44 {around 600.00}..But I'm also interested to see if anyone has any good alternitives..

Don

Thanks Chess ..I'm gonna check out the C3 looks like it could be cool.. T 3..Pretty good price for a variable pattern tube mic!Now I hope they have them in stock down here in Orlando at Magic audio..Gotta go there anyway and drool over all their preamps!!

Don

Last edited:
I've ordered a couple of the new CAD M179 mics. They're based on the Equitek 300 capsule and use op-amp circuitry instead of transformers. Very low self-noise for the money, high SPL-handling capability and a wide frequency response for around $300 a-piece street.

I'll let folks know how these things actually sound when I get'em which should be Monday or Tuesday of this week.

I used to have some Nady SCM-1000's which were quite good for the insanely low price of $150 each. A little dark, and a little gain-hungry, but on the whole, pretty OK. But if you're looking at the AT and Shure stuff, they probably wouldn't quite cut it for you.

Kelly, are those Cad M179's multi pattern?I have a Cad {E100}..
They make some good mics..The E series is pretty cool 200/300/350.They are a little brite for my needs{Particular vocalist/E combo little to sibilant } but still a cool mic.I havent heard the M's yet....

Don

Groove Tubes Am-52's are a decent multi pattern mic. I have one and I've grown to dig it. I see 'em on Ebay all the time in the #350-$400 range.

I liked the RODE NT2...it has 3 patterns, I believe. Kind of cumbersome, though, if you want to mic instruments, as it's a bit large and heavy. And the proximity effect seems to radically diminish in omni mode...I haven't tried a lot of multi pattern mics, so I'm not sure if that's normal or desirable.

Isaiah

Henri Devill said:
Kelly, are those Cad M179's multi pattern?
Don

Yeah, they're continuously variable with a "detented" center cardioid position, with graphics for omni, bi, card, hypercard and sub-cardioid, I believe.

I have no idea how they'll perform in terms of off-axis rejection and so-on. I'm not hugely overly optimistic but curious as hell.

I've heard the Cads are a little bright, we'll see. I'm really interested in trying these out as a stereo pair for distant micing of ensembles. In any case, the published specs on these show they're flat down to 10 Hz. A Sound on Sound review claimed they were very natural sounding with almost no coloration. But I'll beleive that when I hear ... er ... DON'T hear it.

CAD

I have a CAD E100 and its a lil on the bright side but nice fot the price. For multi patterns I hear nothin but good things about the new shure KSM44s and the good ol' audio technica AT4050. (I have 2 AT4033s that are great!!)

Oktava MC012's?

Don't know if this counts, but my most versitle mic is the Oktava MC012's I have.

They have interchangable heads...cardiod, hyper, and omni.

RB

Back