Which Mulit-Pattern Mic: Audio Technica AT2050 or Studio Projects B3?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
I want to pick up another condenser, but this time, one that has multiple patterns so I can extend the uses: like group vocals (in omni), mid-side miking (in fig 8), etc.

I'd primarily use it on vocals (male or female, multiple styles), but also on acoustic guitars, or as a room mic on drums or guitar cabs.

They both look to have great reviews for sound quality and features. You get a good bang for your buck in this price range. I was just about to order the AT-2050 ($230 CAD) when I came across the Studio Projects B3 for only $159 CAD. They both have the exact same features, similar specs and similar positive reviews.

Of course, since everything looks pretty similar I'd be more inclined to go for the B3 since it is almost $70 cheaper, however something in my gut tells me there's a reason it is that much cheaper in price. However maybe the AT2050 is only more expensive due to it's name or maybe it's construction (which I'm not concerned about as long as the sound ratings and features are similar - it's staying in the studio so I'm not worried about damage).

What do you all think/recommend?

I would be happier with the AT myself. ;)

But if I knew now rather than when I was purchasing such microphones I would have gone with something like the Avantone CK40 found HERE as well as many other sites just google it up. I have seen them used for around the $300. price and are well worth the investment.

But then again ..... there is a lot to be said for a tube microphone that will offer you the same features. ;)

Thanks for the input! I'm not hoping to go much higher than $200 at this very point in time.

As for tube mics, I've not looked into them much, but for an all around, multi-purpose mic in the studio, I would think condenser would be the safest best, no? I've always either used dynamics, borrowed condensers or used my small pencil condensers for stuff when I needed condensers, but it's time I get a good multi-purpose I think.

What, out of curiosity, makes you say you'd be happier with the AT?

It can't get much more straight from the horse's mouth than that! I'll take in account that mmmv.

As the OP, I must do my due diligence, and make this thread useful by follow up with my own experience...

Stupidly enough, I ended up going for the B3 due to mostly cost. I have no audio samples, but here'ds what I have to say about it...

All using the Cardioid pattern:
Room mic on electric guitars = excellent
Main mic on mono acoustic guitar = excellent
Room mic in mono on drums = terrible
Room mic in mono on cajon = terrible

Vocal mic on male rock vocal = barely usable, without extensive eq. The high's were ultra harsh and sibilance barely adjustable even with a de-esser. Horrible telephone-sounding bandpass frequency bump around 1-4k, the low-cut switch made vocals even more harsh due to complete eliminating of ANY warmth whatsoever.

Vocal mic on teenage female rock and contemporary proved to have the same problems as male vocal above, but even more problems in the hi-end. It's almost as if there is a buzzing, rattling sound in the high end during higher volumes (on vocals) which is non-eq'able without making the rest of the actual sounds you WANT to hear in that frequency range sound overly dull. This was not anything rattling in the room or against the mic, for the record.

Not only the above, but the shockmount provided is almost unusable to the point where you almost need to damage the mic in order to force it in/out of the mount. After one single application, once removed, the shockmount had visible damge to the inside of it and the elastic kept falling off due to having to apply SO MUCH pressure just to get the mic into the mount. Oh and I pinched my hand almost every time I finally got the mic in there.

The nicest thing about this mic was the glossy fancy wooden case! :facepalm:

All that being sais, without even trying the AT2050, I said to myself...Ok the AT-2050 HAS TO BE better than the B3. Has to. No other condensers or dynamics I did side-by-side comparisons with had that horrible buzzing/tinny sound in the high end. So I'm hoping the AT2050 doesn't either. I'm also hoping it's less telephone-like and that the shockmount is more usable. I knw I have a lot of hopes, but I went ahead and traded the B3 and ordered the AT2050 after all. Why do I always need to learn the hard way!? I figured, if the original AT2020 got so many awards for best mic in it's class, and is popular and widely-used, that must be worth some merit - so the AT2050 can only be even more superior (it's the multi-pattern version of the improved AT2020, the AT2035). Not only that, but you get what you pay for. The AT2050 is almost $100 more and it doesn't come with the fancy case the B# came with - which goes to show what exactly Audio Technica is putting your money into (the mic) as opposed to Studio Projects (the case).

Wish me luck. Will follow up if it IS NOT any better.

:D

Back