A more realistic project?

tubedude

Since the DIY mic pre didn't quite happen, how about the Marshall MXL2001 tube conversion that is descripbed in the new tape-op magazine? Seems to be on the less difficult side, is pretty modular, and best of all... cheap. If you already have the mic, it would be like $200.
Anyone interested? I don't have that mic, but I think it would be easy to find cheap.

That it sounds very nice. The mod is a Royer, if that helps guide you any. :) The mod is $160, and you'll need to buy a Jensen transformer, $60, and something to mount your power supply in. They used an old army ammo box. Looks very nice, actually, and just a few dollars.

Oh, I think the idea was to get it closer to a $2000 mic. All of the electronics are replaced with better shit, except the capsule, which they said is actually a very close Neumann knockoff.
I guarantee that Royer didnt make it sound worse.

I think I`ll have to subscribe to the magazine, so I can study the
article. Was it in the latest issue.....issue number..?

Some pros prefer Lundahl transformers, so I think I`ll contact
Lundahl in Sweden later on.

Yeah the latest, they kinda walk ya through the whole process. I think it was number 25. Can't beleive you dont have it already, its FREE! Oh, you're outta the US, so it might cost ya, I dunno.
www.tapeop.com check and see.

Ok... I invited David Royer himself to come here and say hi and answer some questions. If he does it'll probably be monday. If this turns out not to be too hard, how many people would be interested? We had quite a few people interested in the mic pre thing. Too bad it turned out so damn hard to pull off.
How many people already HAVE an MXL anyway? They are only $159 at musicians friend, which brings the total to do this, give or take, to about $380 and a headache. Not bad for a good tube mic.
We'll see.

WOW! I didnt catch that one....forget the mod, though it was a nice little article...the v77 is the way to go if you want a GOOD tube mic cheap....

I can't say, cause I haven't compared the two, or even heard them... but I would be willing to bet that David Royer knows his shit and that the mod he has going for it is probably fantastic. I would also guess that it kills the v77. Maybe not. I guess we'll see. We need to get some comparisons on the two going, I guess. I've never heard a single bad thing about a Royer mic. Can't say the same about Marshall stuff.
You've lost the biggest point of all though! keep in mind that its not entirely about just HAVING a tube mic, its about getting our hands a little dirty, maybe learning something in the process. That is the most important part of all, don't forget about that!
Keep in mind, also, the Jensen transformer and stuff too. I doubt the Marshall uses anything as nice. The mod is bound to sound better.
$179 with a free mxl603 is a nice deal, though.

Editing in... it looks like the Tube in the Marshall v77 is hardwired in... you can't change it like you normally would change most tubes. No socket. When the tube wears out, you may be in trouble. Also... the diapragm is a 3 micron, which is fine with me, but it might have longevity issues, especially for those people that arent aware that it could be less resistant to handling and SPL damage. According to Stephen Paul, most of the 3 microns out there are across the map response-wise, and it may be extremely hard to find a matched pair if you found the need.

Last edited:
I was concerned about that, too when I tested the first batch of Marshall mics, so about 8 weeks later, I requested a second set of samples. The V77s were within about one dB of each other, and the 2003, V67G, and the 603s sounded like matched pairs.

Tubedude,

I just read the article and was thinking of starting a thread on it as well. I was following the preamp thread as well as I like to tinker and save a buck or two. I am very curious to hear the opinions on the results.

My problem is I have been desperately trying to scrape up $200 for the RNC for over a year and it just aint happening. The Oklahoma tax people say I owe $1,200 from 1998 wich means I am going to have to get a second job and make payments for a year... now they say my wife's return for 1998 is $600 short!

I read up here to get ideas on what to buy in the future but the light at the end of the tunnel just keeps getting further away.

Sorry to disgress but yes I agree with you; the idea in the article is to take an under $200 mic add $200 in parts and sweat equity and end up with a comprable legendary $2,000 mic with very close if not better than the one they are trying to clone.

I definitely want to hear your opinion of the results because I only have one SM 57 and a Sure prologue at the moment so I focus on instrumental DI stuff right now.

SWEET! That makes my mouth water.

I dont think tape-op is carried anywhere in arkansas. Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the article online?
I have access to a v67 and this would be a nice project to do.

Cyan Jaguar
Good news is the magazine subscription is free in the continental U.S.!

Back issues are often available for a price..by the time you get on the subscription list it will be a new issue. Subscribe at www.tapeop.com

The mic they are emulating is the Neumann U-47.

Back