Modify your SM57

witzendoz

There are often posts on this forum asking if a SM57 can be used for this or that etc etc, the fact is that the SM57 can be used for almost everything. It may not be the best at everything but it can be used with good results.

I was reading an article for an upcoming Audio Technology magazine and it reminded me that I have indeed owned a modified SM57 for the last 15 years and it is nearly always used on snare. So I thought I would share the article with you guys, and give the good Oz mag a plug.

As the article states, it drops the gain by about 10 dB, but it works well on snare as you usually have to pad the channel with a normal SM57 anyway. The modified mic defiantly sounds better on snare.

Cheers
Alan.

Cool article Alan. It's an other one that suggests boiling a microphone.

I have a 57 that I took apart like that and put the ends at a 45 angle then black gaff taped it back together instead of purchasing that right angle piece to help fit the 57 into tight spots on certain drum set ups.
May be I'll take the tranny out of that one.

I've heard about taking the tranny out before.

As a result I did a DIY test on an old crappy Unidyne B mic and changed the on/off switch into a bypass switch for the tranny. This works.

So for anyone who feels that taking the tranny out of their mics is kind of a big thing. You can get the SM57/58 with the on/off switch, do some DIY and you can have both at the flick of a switch :D

You may need to change the switch to make it true bypass, but it'll just cost you a couple of $.

If anyone has any tips on how to get the tranny out of that qlue unit, I'd like to hear them.

As a result I did a DIY test on an old crappy Unidyne B mic and changed the on/off switch into a bypass switch for the tranny. This works.

So for anyone who feels that taking the tranny out of their mics is kind of a big thing. You can get the SM57/58 with the on/off switch, do some DIY and you can have both at the flick of a switch :D

You may need to change the switch to make it true bypass, but it'll just cost you a couple of $.

If anyone has any tips on how to get the tranny out of that qlue unit, I'd like to hear them.

Oh ehr... taking the tranny out without killing it that is...

IDK CG ..... I've thought about this one from time to time and it is going to be a bit difficult to say the least. :(

damn,,,,after reading this thread, i was thinkin you could use a switch to bypass tranny if and when you want..

seems someone's beat me to it :(

Back