Miking, micing, mic'ing mic-ing?

protein

I know this isn't really important but when I put a mic on something what am I doing? micing, mikeing miking mic-ing, mic'ing etc?

May as well get it out of the way now, then I can post without blushing. ;)

protein said:
I know this isn't really important but when I put a mic on something what am I doing? micing, mikeing miking mic-ing, mic'ing etc?

May as well get it out of the way now, then I can post without blushing. ;)
It's a hotly debated issue, even among the pros. A lot of people seem to favor "mic, mike, miked, and miking". "Micing" and "Mic'ing" looks a little strange to me.

protein said:
I know this isn't really important but when I put a mic on something what am I doing?

Setting up the first link in a chain that leads to an inevitable debate about digital vs. analog :D .

Well that clears everything up then. :D

I have to agree Harvey, micing doesn't look right but to me miking just feels wrong. I'll have to pose this question to some Oxford Uni English students or something.

So would you use a wide diaphragm condenser on a mouse?

protein said:
I have to agree Harvey, micing doesn't look right but to me miking just feels wrong. I'll have to pose this question to some Oxford Uni English students or something.

Are you going to do a location recording? There are some good threads here if you need help :D

BTW I've seen mic'ed- kinda like it.

I've seen mic'ed too. It sort of makes sense but it looks awkward. I wish English wasn't such a difficult language.

Just take Leicester or recipe for example. They make no sense whatsoever.

My 2 cents:
If you're using a microphone, then you call it a "mic". But, if you're using a mikrophone, you call it a "mik" or "mike". Simple!

Either way, if you use the shortened term as a verb, then you're perverting the English language anyway so what does it matter if you're "mic'ing" (my preference) or "micing" or "miking"?

Of course, this same logic applied to the word "Linux" led me to saying "Ly-nix" (cuz the guy's name is Linus) instead of "Linnux".

So should I really be microphoning a drum kit instead of miking it? Also, should I be eq-ing or EQing?

So many important questions...

I reached into the archives of my brain from recording school: right or wrong, the books always said "miking", and not just recording guys named Mike.

Hmm. I'm torn between Harvey "the don" Gerst's "miking" and "mic'ing".

What a nightmare. As soon as this subject is sorted I can go on to annoy everyone and ask what "omni" and "phase" means. ;)

protein said:
Hmm. I'm torn between Harvey "the don" Gerst's "miking" and "mic'ing".

What a nightmare. As soon as this subject is sorted I can go on to annoy everyone and ask what "omni" and "phase" means. ;)

I guess if I wanna get on a bicycle and explore the neighborhood, I'd go "bic'ing"? And what's the abbreviation for my bicycle, a "bic"?

protein said:
So should I really be microphoning a drum kit instead of miking it? Also, should I be eq-ing or EQing?

So many important questions...

I would say EQing; since you are using an abbreviation, it makes sense to keep the letters in capital.

Harvey Gerst said:
I guess if I wanna get on a bicycle and explore the neighborhood, I'd go "bic'ing"? And what's the abbreviation for my bicycle, a "bic"?

I don't get it. Is mic short for micycle? :)

bic is short for lighter.

Back