?Which mikes for this situation:

jeaston

I need to buy mikes to make digital (to ADAT or computer setup) recordings of a jazz band (grand piano, acoustic bass, trumpet, tenor saxophone--No Drums) that plays in a 20x20ft room with no attempt to isolate the instruments. I might want to place more than 2 mikes to record to more than 2 tracks, as I am concerned that just making a stereo "room" recording as I do not want to have to worry about getting the mix right each time. If the recordings come out well we'll release a CD. I am new to this area. Any suggestions would be very welcome, including suggestions about what posts or other materials to read.

since the 1940s, ribbon microphones have been used to record jazz material, and the traditional smooth, warm sound of jazz recordings is very difficult to acheive without using ribbons. i use a pair of the new royer r-121s, which are excellent. i have also used the coles 4038s, the classic BBC studio mic. many studios these days are investing big money in the vintage RCA 77s. the little beyer m160s are very popular as relatively inexpensive ribbon mics. for live applications, consider a blumlein pair of ribbons out front, in conjunction with some accent mics where you need them - you can use small condensers for accents to add some crispness to the top end, while retaining the warm bottom end ribbon sound from the main array. even with a super-tight group who has a very good idea about balancing their sound while playing together, there are many difficulties associated with trying to get a commercial quality recording playing live, and if that is your goal, do consider multitracking - the sonic benefits and control over the final mix are significant.

Back