Mid range microphone to record vocalin home studio

Lemec

Se2200aMkII vs Avantone CK6 vs Sontronics STC-3X

Hi,

I'd like to get your feedback on the following mics ;

Sontronics SCT-3X

Se Electronics Se2200a MKII

Avantone CK6

Since the use of any of these will be mostly for vocals on advanced tapes and pre-production level what in your opinion would be the best purchase?

Alternatives are most welcome.

Thank you in advance,
Lemec

Last edited:
I just bought a Sontronics STC-3x pack, I don't know where you are in the world but there was a deal on it in Oz. My comments on this thread here.

Alan.

The sE is the only one I've had experience with and I left quite impressed on both male and female vocals.

I've heard mostly good feedback on all of these, is there any chance you can audition them somewhere/rent/borrow them to try out?

Ty both for the quick reply...Tryout policy in music stores here in Portugal are somehow not friendly...

That's unfortunate - if you have the time and money you can hire mic's quite cheaply to test them. It's worth asking around, sometimes live sound hire companies have this kind of kit available or will know someone who will :)

That's a good idea.....

It seems i can't find reviews of the Avantone CK6 altho i tend to think it might be the best choice

i havent tested any of these.
i use m-audio sputnik on my home studio. So far its been a work horse. guitars and male vocals sound warm and tight on it.

These are really low range microphones, rather than mid-range.

Mid-range is more in the £800 - £1,500 price bracket.

Top range is £1,500 plus.

Of the three you mention, I would look at the Sontronics and sE.

Thank you all for your quick replies and advises...

And yes..i should name this thread Low-Budget Microphones

More inputs are most welcome

Back