Mics for Zoom H4n

RealityTraveler

Greetings,

I have a Z o o m H4n recorder that I'd like to do some hands-free field recordings with - specifically while walking on the coast and in the forest, or while sitting in a park (...). I don't want to hold the device (or a mic) in my hand - rather it will be stowed in a pocket/pouch/pack. By the way, I plan to release recordings into a podcast, on CDs, or as other digital downloads.

I have a few questions as it pertains to microphones and using this device. I don't have a big budget for this particular portion of my recording efforts, so I'm thinking about getting a lav mic (e.g. Giant Squid Omni/Mono) and perhaps another mic for interviews (e.g. EV 635A, RE50N/D-B, or equiv.). [By the way, I have a AT$3350 lav mic, but found it to be lacking.]

For sound quality, am I better off plugging the Giant Squid (1/8) lav mic into the stereo jack on the top/back of the Z o o m H4n or with plugging it into one of the bottom channels using a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?

I'm eager to start producing some recordings, but need to get this mic issue resolved.

Thank you in advance for your help.

~RT

The 1/8-to-1/4 is not a good idea. The 1/4-inch jacks are in the middle of the XLRs, but they're not the same. Those are intended as line- or instrument-level inputs.

I don't know anything about the "Giant Squid" microphone. One key question is: does it require power? If its main intended use is on a camcorder (as is the case with many lavalier mics), it may. The H4n doesn't supply power like a camcorder does, though it does supply either 24 or 48V phantom power. If the Giant Squid works with either no power or phantom power, I'd plug it into the XLR inputs with an appropriate adapter. Of course, another open question is whether the Giant Squid's output is balanced.

The 1/8-to-1/4 is not a good idea. The 1/4-inch jacks are in the middle of the XLRs, but they're not the same. Those are intended as line- or instrument-level inputs.

I don't know anything about the "Giant Squid" microphone. One key question is: does it require power? If its main intended use is on a camcorder (as is the case with many lavalier mics), it may. The H4n doesn't supply power like a camcorder does, though it does supply either 24 or 48V phantom power. If the Giant Squid works with either no power or phantom power, I'd plug it into the XLR inputs with an appropriate adapter. Of course, another open question is whether the Giant Squid's output is balanced.

Here are the specs for the Giant Squid Omni/Mono mic (which uses an electret condenser microphone cartridge) :

* 20 - 20,000 Hz frequency response
* Sensitivity rated at -35 decibels +4 decibels.
* Low sound to noise ratio > 62dB
* 5 feet of Miniature Balanced Musical Instrument Cable [Does this mean the "output is balanced"?]
* Handcrafted brass mic element casing with solid steel clip
* Gold Plated 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) stereo mini plug

Are you saying that I should get a 1/8 to XLR adapter? If so, do you have a recommendation? Also, is it better to use an adapter or to simply plug it into the 1/8 input?

Thank you for your help.

Not true. The 1/8" stereo plug on the bottom provides plug in power just like a camcorder.

Back