Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mics for under $100 - that just may work for you.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    Well, if greg needs more information on exact mic placement for this type of group, he can contact me privately - and I can tell him precisely where to put the microphone.
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    I have a pretty good idea what your answer will be Harvey.
    But you may have to draw a picture with instructions for Greg.

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    lol

You guys are onto creating a new microphone line

The "Beta B.U.T.T plug 57"

All I can say is buy new...not sure you would want to buy a used second hand Beta plug 57.

Thanks
    Good stuff, Harvey. I always learn from you.

I notice the lack of many other popular $100 LDCs (e.g., AT, AKG, Studio Projects models) and am wondering if that's by your preference or simply not having them around.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffree View Post
    Good stuff, Harvey. I always learn from you.

I notice the lack of many other popular $100 LDCs (e.g., AT, AKG, Studio Projects models) and am wondering if that's by your preference or simply not having them around.
    A little of both, I'm afraid. I'm really not a big fan of the low end AT's and AKG's, and while I love the Studio Projects C4's, C5's and their T3, I've got most of the other bases covered.

This was really more of an exercise in just grabbing four very low cost mics and trying them for both guitar and vocals. I was pleasantly surprised as to how well all the mics did on voice AND guitar. With a little attention to placement and some eq, I think any of them would be very useful for either purpose.

Thanks
    Thanks, man. I'm still using a couple of original SP B1s for my acoustic guits and really like the results, but I have no idea how they compare to the MXL LDCs. No biggie, but thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting these tracks.

The ECM-8000 sounds really good. It captured that classic Martin low end just right. But the whole guitar sounds good with that one mic.

It's a very interesting thing to play with, mixing all the different tracks together.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
    Thanks for posting these tracks.

The ECM-8000 sounds really good. It captured that classic Martin low end just right. But the whole guitar sounds good with that one mic.

It's a very interesting thing to play with, mixing all the different tracks together.
    Yup, and add a little eq, compression, and reverb, and all the tracks are pretty usable.

Thanks
    I have to say the track I liked the least was the TLM103 so far, and the 603 sounded pretty nice on vocals, had a little sharper command than the V67g which is the current mic I have my wife singing into!

All in all I think that the Behringer mic sounded pretty decent on guitar but on vocal it sounded like there was some sort of converter noise going on in places, or something was making a digital noise there... Anbody else hear that?

I may have to get a couple of the ECM8000's for working with our acoustics...
    My various rants about digital audio and Indie music: At my blog

Thanks

Samson C01u "demo"

Just thought i would add my own two-penneth, having asked for advice recently on a usb mic for sopranos and asked my youtube friends what they use (it was just for posting lap-top-studio songs on internet). I eventually went for the Samson C01u as it was in my budget. Compare to what i was using, Have to say I'm not diassapointed! Once you have fiddled around a bit with levels and defaults on Windows7 I dont think i get a bad sound at all.(Used Mixcraft for the recording). I thought i would post a link to a couple of songs i have done with this mic for all those thinking about it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar junkie View Post
    I have to say the track I liked the least was the TLM103 so far, and the 603 sounded pretty nice on vocals, had a little sharper command than the V67g which is the current mic I have my wife singing into!
    The TLM103 was just a scratch track so that he could sync all the guitars and vocals to a common track. It was recorded from about 3 or 4 feet away to capture both the guitar AND the vocal. It wasn't really part of the test, but I threw it in anyway.

The 603 has a peak up around 7 kHz, so that may account for the extra "sharpness" you're hearing.

All in all I think that the Behringer mic sounded pretty decent on guitar but on vocal it sounded like there was some sort of converter noise going on in places, or something was making a digital noise there... Anybody else hear that?
    All these mics were grabbed at random from a large number of similar mics. They've all been "rode hard and put away wet". I'd suggest that you don't take those kinds of distortions into consideration when you listen to these tracks.

I may have to get a couple of the ECM8000's for working with our acoustics...
    Most people here don't even consider omni mics when they start out, yet omnis can be one of the most useful tools in any beginning mic arsenal.

Thread Information