which mics sound best to you gt33 gt44 or?

slobbermonster

This is sort of a mic test.
This link

has 5 little clips of accoustic guitar, which clip sounds best to you and why?
There is no eq, no compression, noreverb, no processing of any kind other than a quick attempt at adjusting the volumes similar so you can hear just the sound of the mics. I tried to keep the mics in the same proximity to the guitar the best i could

Sound fun? There are no right or wrong answers

Last edited:
I listened to the first two clips. And for my money, the first is definitely the 33 and the second is the 44. Third is definitely the 33 again. Not sure about the last two. Could both be the 44.

As to which one's better, that's personal opinion. 1 is more open and detailed, the other is slightly veiled and mellowed out.

out of the five clips the gt33 and gt44 were used once each. It's too bad the mp3 ruins the sound so bad but the clips are in the ball park.

1 is the most present I guess the GT-33
2 is the more veiled one.... I don't know
3 my guess... the GT-44 very similar to 1 but a little smoother
4 nice... a little more dimension very smooth
5 similar to 4 very nice smooth, dimensional. I think this is my favorite for that guitar piece.

But then again, I havn't heard my GT-44's on guitar yet, and all my other mics are cheap, so what do I know.

:D :D ;)

BTW nice pickin'
and thanks for the mic demo

I thought we only had two choices, here. This isn't fair. Are we supposed to guess what the 3 mystery mics are? :D

I'm still guessing 2 is the 44.

I thought we only had two choices, here. This isn't fair. Are we supposed to guess what the 3 mystery mics are?
Oh no not at all, the attempt is to gather peoples opinions on what they hear. I should have been more clear, some times I forget that others can't read my mind :) let me try and rephrase.

Out of the 5 guitar clips, the gt 33's and gt 44's were used once each in pairs the other 3 clips are a pair of Blue Bottles and the capsules were changed for each using a b-0, b-5, and b-6, so essentially we have recordings with $200 worth of mics, $400 worth of mics, and $10,000 worth of mics. The mp3 really ruins the sound quite a bit but i'm mostly curious which clips are more pleasing to a person or what your perspective is concerning them than which mics are which. If you can tell which mic is which (thru the mp3 crap) that would be interesting to know. It's not real scientific but i'm interested what peoples perceptions are. non mp3 would be better but alas that's what we have to work with.

i'll tell you which is which when ever you guys want me too

I'll play. My guesses (and that's all they are) are:

1. GT33
2. One of the Blue capsules - dunno which one
3. GT44
4. Blue
5. Blue

Here is the order on the little guitar clips for the mics used starting with first.
I'll put what Blue says the capsule emulates

Blue Bottle with b-5 capsule (neumann/geffel m55k) $10,000 a pair

Groove tubes gt44 $400 a pair (on sale at guitar center)

Blue Bottle with b-0 capsule (ela m 251) $10,000 a pair

Groove tubes gt-33 $200 a pair (on sale at guitar center)

Blue Bottle with b-6 capsule (akg c12)$10,000 a pair

the guitar was a taylor 814 ce

Thanks for playing
Tony

Very interesting.

The differences between these mics is very apparent. The Blue sounds ... like a Blue. Highly detailed with a generous presence lift. And it's like that with most of the capsules to varying degrees. The GT sounds so much mellower. It's almost like comparing a condenser to a ribbon.

The C-12 capsule really is something special, though, in a lot of ways. It's so dimensional, and just picks up every little detail.

Two very different sound options you're presenting there. I've played around with my 44's for a while, and it's kind of a weird mic. They're small/mid diaphragm condnesers - tube, nonetheless ... that look like miniature LDC's only they're front-address ... and they sound just like ribbons mics. Just weird.

I agree CHess, the gt 44 is pretty mellow almost dark sounding IMHO, I thought the gt33 had more detail than the gt44. of course IMHO the Blue sounds better than either, especially on the original wave (mp3 sucks) but one has to ask themselves is it $9800 better than something like the GT stuff.

Someday, maybe I'll be able to afford a Bottle. Those are some decent shades of acoustic guitar.

Of these clips, I obviously liked the Bottle. I particularly liked the sound on No. 1 and No. 3. I thought the GT33 clip compared about equal to the No. 5 clip. The GT44 didn't do anything for me.

I'll be getting a pair of GT33 mics in a week to 10 days. I'm curious to see what I think after some first hand use.

I realize I've said this already in another thread, but I've got a little exercise for ya.

Try downloading those guitar samples. Open them up in your favorite audio editor. Now play around with the EQ on each sample. Specifically, try a high-shelf starting at 4.5 khz. Now go through each sample and try crankin' that shelf up about 5 dbs. Now try 10, then 20. :D

There's really no comparison. The GT-44 sample (#2) is the smoothest when adding even drastic amounts of EQ.

That's pretty impressive.

I'd disagree about the GT44 sample being smoothest. It's the darkest of the bunch so it'll most likely take more additive EQ on the high end. However, I thought the GT33 took the top end additive EQ a bit more musically than the GT44.

slobbermonster, thanks for the clips. People should do stuff like this more often, I think it's the most constructive thing done on this board.

While on the topic of GT mics, what applications does everyone use them for aside from acc guit? The 33's seem like they might make some pretty sweet overheads, but aside from that and the occational instrument what would it be used for? I could see the 44 maybe working for vocals, maybe the 33 too, I don't know, anyone try it?

-Peter

Back