Mics I'm Totally Spoilt For Choice.

I don't care what preamp was used. The bottom line is that if you liked it, than Alan managed to show you that the C4's are capable of recording good tracks. mastered or not. It would be nice to know what the whole chain was, but not a necessity.

The C4 clip sounds good... and I like the that fact that it's a Wave file... much better than crappy MP3's. And it proves with the right people and right equipment and etc the C4's can sound very good.

Alan
O'K i wasn't really having a dig, the mic sounds great and probably would even do my own needs very well. I understand where you're coming from and wish you good luck with your products. Its a shame the shops over here in the uk don't push your products more.
Vikki(uk)

Vikki,

No problems. I have had enough Barney as it is, so we are cool.

Glad you understand my concerns. :)

Alan

I swear to you that if you could get your products into Academy of Sound and/or Sound Control that I would own some of them by now. There's a big market to be had here and it's your responsibility, your duty dammit, to give these kids or middle-aged blokes who want to write some songs in their mid-life crisis something that will make a decent sound for their money. :)

Hope you understand MY concerns ;)

Nik

Please forward 2 new C4's to me and I will test them with cheap gear and post the wave file.

I will x/y them, wide split them, and do an over the shoulder and 12th fret and do at least 2 angles, perpendicular and straight on my cheap Fender acoustic guitar, and my old Guild.

Ok, I give up... But no more questions. Why no Toft or Joemeek Front end? It was not available at this house... Its talent, not gear. None of this is expensive stuff...

2 tracks of acoustic guitar standard tuning.... no bass guitar. The guitars are huge sounding on their own...
2 C4's into a TL Audio PA-2 into a Digi 002... No EQ!
JoeMeek Plugin Compressor on individual tracks
Waves compression used on Master track On Protools LE 6.4

I've just been watching this thread. Why didn't you just post that before? That should make the sound clips even more impressive. That is budget gear that is in a lot of people's price range on this board. Hopefully that should answer a lot of people's questions about the C4s.

alanhyatt said:
Ok, I give up... But no more questions. Why no Toft or Joemeek Front end? It was not available at this house... Its talent, not gear. None of this is expensive stuff...

2 tracks of acoustic guitar standard tuning.... no bass guitar. The guitars are huge sounding on their own...
I can't type, I'm laughing too hard... ok.... ok. Thanks for the info. appreciate it.

Now somebody mail me a dollar. :)

Ok, seriously, I see there was some compression, that's actually interesting, I wouldn't think there was any. I'll go give it another listen.

EleKtriKaz said:
I've just been watching this thread. Why didn't you just post that before? That should make the sound clips even more impressive. That is budget gear that is in a lot of people's price range on this board. Hopefully that should answer a lot of people's questions about the C4s.

I was hesitant to post it because now people will think this is the gear you have to have to get that sound, and that is not the case. It "is" about what the C4's "can" sound like, not how did you get that sound. It takes more than just gear to get that sound. It takes experience.

It should not make this clip more impressive. It takes nohow! Maybe Vikki will post a recording with her new AKG's and a couple of guitars. If the nohow is there, it should be the same.

Jeezus, dude. Just answer the question without turning things in to a marketing grandstand, and maybe you won't get harrassed so much. :D What pre did you use? A TL Audio. Thank you.

chessrock said:
Jeezus, dude. Just answer the question without turning things in to a marketing grandstand, and maybe you won't get harrassed so much. :D What pre did you use? A TL Audio. Thank you.

I knew it was just a matter time before you would show up and spew... :eek:

I was looking at the B5 and wondering if it was any good. I'd like to try one small d. mic besides the noisy 8000 and was thinking of that one. But if I do eventually decide to pair them up then I'd just have to take a chance. Then again, tonight I just paired up a couple of dynamics and looove the sound I got. So I can wait a while.

Even if 2 brands are made in the same factory, how do we know what that means? Alinco and Kenwood, I always heard were made in the same factory, but there's differences.

The Studio Projects C4 and Behringer B5 are NOT the exact same mic... you can tell that just by looking at them side-by-side... but kind of close and everyone knows Behringer likes to copy. Plus they both have the Pad/Filter switch and interchangeable capsoles... and just so happen to be maded by the same Chinese "797 Audio" mic factory... which PMI seems to highly recommend, so it can't be bad.

Take a look yourself... here's the links.

B5... $179.99 http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=21014&Category=Microphones

C4... $319.99 http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=6679&Category=Microphones

Also, note the C4's are matched and the B5 aren't.

But it's worth checking out... and $140 less.

Last edited:
alanhyatt said:

Too bad they discontinued the PA-1, and they're getting harder to find... and who knows, maybe someday be a collectable. The C4 clip sounds good, John Mayes did a good job... thumps up.

Last edited:
Good lad. Glad we got this sorted out. But I think the B5/C4 thing has been gone over enough times - anyone needing to know what Alan or anyone else has said about the similarities/differences can use the search button.

alanhyatt said:

Alan, with all due respect, but why did you run around in circles before you posted this? It may be that the recording of that clip belongs to someone else?

The same clip can be found in this post:

#5 Today, 04:51
John Mayes
Senior Member Join Date: Sep 2002

The C4's are really great. I have a pair and use them on guitars. Here is a clip of them in action. (beware the clip is a .wav file 15 MB)\

http://www.mayesguitars.com/eli.wav

Who recorded that clip, was it you or was it John Mayes?

Oh, waitaminute, John has answered that question:

Rafe,

thanks. I used Some TL audio Preamps. (PA-2)

JoeMeek Compressor plugin on individual tracks and Waves compressor on Master. No EQ. 2 tracks. The guitar is a Mayes Slope D Adirondack top east indian Rosewood Back and sides.

The C4's are really nice mics no doubt even in a amateurs hands (that would be me)

The thread was found here: http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=125395

Caught you Alan! :D:D

BTW, you make nice mics bro!

Back