Mics and audio interface for recording acoustic guitar in stereo on iPad Pro

Antigen

Just joined the forum today. I'm basically a novice at recording but am interested in recording myself playing fingerstyle acoustic guitar (Taylor 314ce). I like posting instrumentals for my friends on social media and at some point may even consider including vocals. I have been using my 12.9 inch iPad Pro, Garageband, and an iRig Mic Studio USB microphone for about 1.5 years and for the most part I've been satisfied with this. I would like to continue using the iPad Pro but am now interested in purchasing an audio interface and paired microphones for stereo recording of my guitar and perhaps vocals. My understanding is that the recording quality would be improved and my recording options expand using a audio interface (perhaps at some point I will use my desktop PC although I don't like the noise). I've narrowed down my choice of audio interfaces to either the new Roland Rubix 22 or the Steinberg UR22 MkII. Both cost $150 and appear to work well with with Apple IOS. As far as microphones, I am pretty sure, based on my readings in this forum, that I should get a pair of small-diaphragm condenser mics. The boss (wife) says I can spend about $300 on both the audio interface and mics. So that leaves me with a budget of around $150 for the paired mics (although I might find an additional $50 in my piggy bank :). Any comments/suggestions regarding mics and my choice of audio interfaces would be helpful.
Edit: I don't know if its possible, but couldn't I record in stereo using a single mic and directly inputting the guitar's builtin internal pickup? If so, would a single small or large small- or large-diaphragm condenser mic be better? Would this be as good as using two mics?
Christopher

Last edited:
Back