Which mics? AKG C3000B,SP C1, or Rode NTK

Flyguylol

Hey all. I'm new to this site, and like what I see so far. I'm just getting my home studio up and running (been a dream of mine for years). From about 6 hours of researching, I've found three mics that seem to be of quality for acoustic guitar and general vocal recording. I'm confused as to which one or ones I should buy. Need your input...

1) AKG C3000B

2) Studio Projects C1

3) Rode NTK

Well Flyguy

I'm not an expert and others will say that the C1 isn't best suited for acoustic guitar and would recomend the T3 but I use the C1 for acoustic and I am really impressed with how my guitar sounds these days. With out a doubt all will tell you it is a great vocal mic! I'm very pleased with my C1 for guitar and for vocals.

Sorry, don't have any experience with the other mics you mentioned.

just my 2cents

I've tried only two of those mics listed, the SP C1 & the Rode NTK and the C1 sounds the best on acoustic. I'd make a sample if I had a decent acoustic guitar with me but I don't.

You should definately go with the C1.

Also look into small "caps" for your acoustic..Oktava MC O12 or a Marshall 603 they are relitivly inexpensive{around $100.00}..I like the sound of small "caps" for acoustic in a mix sometimes much better..They seem to handle the transients{briter percussive sounds}when you are strumming much better..A large "cap"for vocals ...It really depends on your voice all three of the mics you mentioned would be Ok..The NTK is the tube version of the NT1000..See if you like the 1000 also..Also look into the Marshall V67..Its about $150.00 and is pretty good..And look into the KSM27..about $299.00....Happy hunting!

Don

C1

Well, recording acoustic guitar the BEST and vocals the BEST are two different animals.

I have done several mixes with the C1, and have this to offer you:

For recordings that are ONLY guitar and vocals, the C1 will do really well. You will get a nice, warm full bodied tone of the guitar, and a nice warm cut with the vocals, with lots of definition.

If you are doing full-out mixes, with much more instrumentation (drums, bass, etc), then I'd go with a small diaphragm for the accoustic. You COULD use the C1, but you will be spending some time EQ'ing it to get it to "sit" in the mix without masking anything, since it is so full bodied.

Enjoy.

SH

Dont know bout the C1 or the NTK, but I have two C3000 and I really don't like them. Their not all bad, but I do find them sounding metallic. I also have a NT1 which is just good enough to record my dog farting, but I believe it is the worst mic Rode has ever sold, so it says nothing about the NTK.

I also have a NT1 which is just good enough to record my dog farting, but I believe it is the worst mic Rode has ever sold, so it says nothing about the NTK.

ROTFL! Hilarious.....

The NTK has so much coloring that I feel like they purposefully EQ'd it to "emulate" the sonic "feel" of a high end mic.
Unfortunately, in a mix, it misses the mark by a long shot.

You don't get warmth just by using a bathtub EQ frequency response.

I honestly think RODE tried to give home recordists the illusion (by EQ) that it was a warm, smooth high-end mic..
People who have used it extensively in mixes probably dislike the fact that it gets swallowed up, bringing the need for massive compression.

Just my opinion, but I won't do any mixes with an NTK.

Works OK for just guitar and vocals though.

SH

When the B series from Studio Projects comes out in (supposedly) January, I'm curious how the tube model in that series will compare to the NTK, especially as it will cost less.

Seventh said:

ROTFL! Hilarious.....

The NTK has so much coloring that I feel like they purposefully EQ'd it to "emulate" the sonic "feel" of a high end mic.
Unfortunately, in a mix, it misses the mark by a long shot.

You don't get warmth just by using a bathtub EQ frequency response.

I honestly think RODE tried to give home recordists the illusion (by EQ) that it was a warm, smooth high-end mic..
People who have used it extensively in mixes probably dislike the fact that it gets swallowed up, bringing the need for massive compression.

Just my opinion, but I won't do any mixes with an NTK.

Works OK for just guitar and vocals though.

SH

I hear you.

i wont do any mixes with it either. I wont record with it at all.

All the mics you mentioned are solid.

That said, I would go with the C1 for vocals and the small-diaphragm Oktava's for recording accoustic guitar. It'll only set you back about an extra hundo, but you'll be very happy. The Oktava will also make for an exceptional overhead or cybal mic on the drums.

For dog farting, the Behringer ECM 8000 seems like a natural choice due to its shape and lack of proximity effect. Use a suitable lubricant for especially close-in work.

For guitar, some folks here like to use a large diaphragm condenser on the right hand and a small condenser on the left.

Mark H.

Man, that Behringer must be a pretty sensitive mic.

My dog doesn't make hardly any noise at all when she farts.
Would the lack of proximity effect mean that the boomy low end typically emitted from 200 hz on down be less prevalant when micing close? I don't know if that would be a problem, as my dog's farts, when audible seem to possess this shrieking high end bump at around 11-12 khz when recorded flat.

Would you recommend a fast attack time on the compressor for a tighter sound?

Downside Studio said:
I think the ECM8000 partly goes into the dog.

Listen DS,don't knock it until you have tried it. I have used my ECM's for stereo-micing/room acoustical p-up's and effect -enhancement and it performs admirably. Mind you I also own a
small impressive array of mics from dynamic,cardiod,large and small condensers etc and the ambience capturing of the ECM's w/o coloration and tonal distortion. Ray Hanlin,FOH mixologist
used them recently in capturing famed Jazz guitarist,Eric Gale,
smooth tone and firey technique at a Pier 11 concert.
So unless you have used them(and don't come up with some lame excuse such as "Well,I hate all Behringer products" or
"I have upgraded all my gear to Neumanns and Neve's so I'm too
good for THESE mics") Please keep your mic-dog comments to your self!
If you have used them and don't like 'em because the they are not capturing your sonic idea,then I understand. But please
save your ECM bashing for some-1 else who doesn't know better!
If FOH-man Ray Hanlin uses them;If Harvey Gerst recommends them; If famed R&B/Rap studio in NYC Apple Studios uses 'em
then they can;t be that bad!
If you need to bash mics,bash RADIO WHACK mics!
I should know, I own 1 of them buggers!
Peace
Mr.Q

Dear MISTERQCUE, we have received your open socilitationletter and are proud to announce you will be getting the job. You are now an official Behringer promotiongirl.

MISTERQCUE, I never recommended the ECM8000 for recording a dog farting, I recommended the Rode NT1 for this job. Someone else (I won't be calling names) recommended the ECM8000 because of its shape. I just mentioned that if you're using it to capture the fartsound and it is very inaudible (see thread) you'd better stick it in the dogs ass. Due to its shape the dog won't suffer from this micking technique. Nor will you.

Since you're accusing me of being anti-behringer etc, I ask you to read some of the threads concerning behringer products. I've never put it down. I've owned a lot of behringer products, and yes I'm happy to say I have upgraded. I hope you will also one day. I think its great value for your money (hey isn't that a thread) and some of its products can function in high grade studio's. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM with people constantly defending themselves for using behringer stuff. I use two behringer products (headphone amplifier and DI's) and get a lot of clients who ask me why I use behringer. I will never try to explain this in front, only when people ask. So it's not me who has a problem with this brand, its you and people like you. Don't start acusing me of things without reading a whole thread.

I can tell you must be a very good recordist since you know at least two famous guys. (Ray Hanlin, Harvey Gerst ) Very impressive. You must be very very good. (BTW do these guys know you?)

I know what I'm talking about MISTERQCUE, but I have to admit one thing........I don't own a dog. I own two rabbits and a rat. I will be happy to try the ECM8000 capturing their farts.

Oh damn you MISTERQCUE, look what you made me do. I woke up this morning, read your reply and got pissed of being accused of things I never said/wrote. So I wrote a kind of lame reply back.

Two minutes later I was sitting on the toilet laying my morning egg, when I thought ' hey this guy isn't going to piss up my morning is he?' So is cutoff the brownie and wrote this reply.

MISTERQCUE, please read the thread again and I will be happy to accept your apology. I will be more than happy to give you mine. We should all go in peace this morning.

now I'm going back to the toilet (without the NT1)

Downside Studio said:
And please re-read my replies in the 'behringer products' thread. And please come clean my hallway outside the toilet. Damn.

Sorry, I only do windows!!!

I said what I felt needed to be said,and you replied!

'Nuff said!!

Peace
Mr.Q

Back