Microphones to record a full a band.

Mjespo125

I was looking at shure microphone packs to record a full band. I figured that the drum mic packs seem to have everything you would need.. But I wouldn't know because I'm new to this. Anyway, what would be better to get.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Drum-Mic-Package?sku=270263

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-PG-6Piece-Drum-Microphone-Package?sku=270298

of course I'm not limiting myself to these to options so feel free to give me your input. Just keep in mind I have about a $400 budget, and my biggest concern is getting a good drum sound.

hmmm...choice one isn't very dynamic in selection, has no overheads

choice 2 doesn't have a 57, and leaves me to wonder how good you can do with those mics on your guitar cabs.

i say...get a kick mic, 2 ldc's, and a 57.

overhead with the ldc's. kick on kick, 57 on snare

vocal mic with an ldc,

room mic the guitar with an ldc. close mic with 57 possibly the kick mic.

bass direct.

and most importantly. ebay.

cello_pudding said:
hmmm...choice one isn't very dynamic in selection, has no overheads

choice 2 doesn't have a 57, and leaves me to wonder how good you can do with those mics on your guitar cabs.

i say...get a kick mic, 2 ldc's, and a 57.

overhead with the ldc's. kick on kick, 57 on snare

vocal mic with an ldc,

room mic the guitar with an ldc. close mic with 57 possibly the kick mic.

bass direct.

and most importantly. ebay.

Not a bad suggestion. I've always liked LDC overheads myself. I don't think I've ever miced the toms.
For a kick drum mic, look at the Audio Technica ATM25, great little made in Japan mic, can usually be scooped up on ebay for the right price because they don't have the word "Shure" on them.
I'd also recomend buying some mics used, they drop dramatically in resale value after you buy them new. I can understand a condenser new, but dynamics you have to try to break them, stick with thee bay.
Other tips for a good drum sound: change the heads, get em tuned right and make teh drummer play with pretty thick sticks. I've always gotten a WAY better drum sound with 2Bs than 5As. Good luck!

Don't forget omnis

Hi,

I want to second the ATM25 for kick. I have great sound with mine and got it for about $70 used.

Don't forget omnis. Cheap and versatile. No proximity effect when used close up. Great for room sound. Great for recording stereo as a spaced pair or Jecklin Disc.

Naiant msh omnis are excellent condensor omnis and cheap. EV makes great dynamic omnis. EV635a, EV RE50, EV RE55 are highly recommended. The realistic 1070b, c, or d are RE50 clones with extended frequency response. They were made by Shure for Radio Shack and go cheap now because of the Realistic brand. You can get a pair for $30.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

i'm really thinking no.

even if they're cheap condenser's you can get an okay sound. if you're new, just get a few mxl 990's. i've liked mine better than the 991's sdc's for overheading drums.

i think from a distance 57's would give you uneven cymbals, a tinny snare, and thin toms.

people will hate me for recommending mxl maybe, and they'll tell you just to kill yourself or save up for 400 dollar sdc's. really though, screw that. you're new, they'll do you just fine

cello_pudding said:
i'm really thinking no.

even if they're cheap condenser's you can get an okay sound. if you're new, just get a few mxl 990's. i've liked mine better than the 991's sdc's for overheading drums.

i think from a distance 57's would give you uneven cymbals, a tinny snare, and thin toms.

people will hate me for recommending mxl maybe, and they'll tell you just to kill yourself or save up for 400 dollar sdc's. really though, screw that. you're new, they'll do you just fine

I agree!!!!!

Back