Which microphone would you recommend?

NewbieRecordist

I am beginning to do home recording and don't know what microphone to get. I've heard the MXL 990 and AT2020 are good ones to start off with. What would you guys suggest for a person starting to record? My price range is 100-150$

If you were to google advanced' that (and 'best' etc) with the site as the 'from location', you'd likely see five or ten of these a month.
Also, there's a bunch of stickies right above your post there.
:)

If.. at the the very beginning of this venture into recording, it simply won't matter all that much which mic'. There's "ten other" (made up statistic) way more important factors that one needs to get behind them first.
You can begin part of that, by telling us where you're at now, experience, gear, what you'll be recording..

Of your shortlist, I prefer the AT2020...I've use the MXL990 and find it lacking in detail. Indeed, I used to use them for drum overheads sometimes when I wanted to tame over-bright cymbals.

However, as Mixit says, the differences in this price range aren't huge--and you'll find other things (like room acoustics) that'll probably make a bigger difference.

I got an MXL990 for a steal at £20 a few years back and it's my go to mic for acoustic guitar recording. But then, it depends on the room and the guitar as to what the mic will pick up along with the preamp it is running through. I run mine through a Studio Projects VTB1. Does the job I need. I'm also in a square room that is completely dead, so having a slightly brighter mic is good for me.

YMMV :thumbs up:

Back