Microphone for Voice-overs

ecroow

Hello!

I'm currently using the Focusrite Scarlett Solo with the BM-800, and I have to say that it sounds pretty decent to me.(probably because I don't have high-quality headphones, and I'm not such an audiophile.)

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U7G877Ry8E (It's not in English)

However, I'd like to upgrade my sound quality a little bit, and buy a better microphone.

I don't really want to spend that much, and I'm looking for sub $150 microphones. I'm willing to buy some 2nd hand mics from eBay if needed.

I'm currently looking at the MXL V67g, AT2020, MXL 990(probably the cheapest).

The things that I'm looking in a microphone is that I want it to be more boomy, because, after all, I'm doing some audiobook recordings.

The things that I like about my BM-800 is that it's very directional, and it doesn't pick up that much background noise.

Also, there's a busy road outside my apartment, so I wouldn't want it to pick up that noise, too. The BM-800 doesn't pick it up.

That's why I've also looked at the Oktava MK-012-01, and it also sounds pretty good to me, but I'd like you to tell me what you think about it.

Have a great day!

Take a look at ebay for an Electrovoice RE320. It's similar to an RE20, but more budget friendly. The RE320 is a dynamic mic and may be less likely to picked ambient sounds such as the road noise outside. The Oktava mics are small diaphragm condenser(SDC) mics which likely will not be more boomy, but even maybe the opposite.
I do have an RE320 that I had bought used for about $150US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3j_M8P_14E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ruNTeSaNKU

Have you tried moving in closer to your current microphone? 'Proximity effect' of a directional mic can make lower frequencies more prominent/boomy.

I have only used the AT2020 (the USB variant of it). I don't know if it would sound THAT much better than the mic you are using (which sounds remarkably good for its price). Have you tried tweaking it a bit with EQ? Waves does make a few plugins that add bass using harmonics. I tried one for a while, be decided that (for voiceover) it was making things a bit TOO boomy.

If you decide to go with a dynamic mic, I would avoid the Rode Podcaster (USB, and I don't really like its sound). If you can find a used Heil PR40, mine does wonderfully in an office with a loud AC vent.

I have only used the AT2020 (the USB variant of it). I don't know if it would sound THAT much better than the mic you are using (which sounds remarkably good for its price). Have you tried tweaking it a bit with EQ? Waves does make a few plugins that add bass using harmonics. I tried one for a while, be decided that (for voiceover) it was making things a bit TOO boomy.

If you decide to go with a dynamic mic, I would avoid the Rode Podcaster (USB, and I don't really like its sound). If you can find a used Heil PR40, mine does wonderfully in an office with a loud AC vent.

Hello!

I've tried the built-in EQ in Audacity with its stock bass and treble boost options, and now it sounds like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8NV_Rpea00

It sounds much better than it used to. I'm also impressed with the quality of this microphone for the $20 I gave for it.

Take a look at ebay for an Electrovoice RE320. It's similar to an RE20, but more budget friendly. The RE320 is a dynamic mic and may be less likely to picked ambient sounds such as the road noise outside. The Oktava mics are small diaphragm condenser(SDC) mics which likely will not be more boomy, but even maybe the opposite.
I do have an RE320 that I had bought used for about $150US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3j_M8P_14E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ruNTeSaNKU

Have you tried moving in closer to your current microphone? 'Proximity effect' of a directional mic can make lower frequencies more prominent/boomy.

Hello!

I can't find a RE320 for $150. All of the mics that I found were much more expensive than that, and all of the ones that were around $150 were from America, and I'd have to pay at least $50 for shipping and around $60 for important charges.

Hello!

I've tried the built-in EQ in Audacity with its stock bass and treble boost options, and now it sounds like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8NV_Rpea00

It sounds much better than it used to. I'm also impressed with the quality of this microphone for the $20 I gave for it.

Even small adjustments in EQ can make a big difference in voiceovers. My early tweaking went a bit overboard, and I have to restrain myself by making very small adjustments. Your latest version is a bit warmer, and that's good in my opinion.
Your current mic, as cheap as it is, sounds like a mic in the $100 - $150 range, so it wouldn't be wise to replace it with a similar mic like the AT2020. I would save up a bit more money and then, when the current mic dies, get something for more like $250. And don't waste any money on a digital audio workstation like ProTools, Cubase, or Studio One. They are overkill for voiceover. I use Adobe Audition but don't like paying a monthly subscription for it. I'm trying to find a replacement (Mac), and it is difficult to find anything similar. Sony SoundForge looked good, but they sold their line to another company who hasn't done anything with the Mac version. Triumph is crazy complicated. You can stick with Audacity for free and not feel too constrained. I would just use Audacity, but it crashes from time to time with some plugins.
Keep up the good work.

Jeff, have you tried Reaper? About £60 one off if you like it.
Or you might get on well with Samplitude Pro Silver. 8 tracks max but pretty "pro" and totally free.

Others freebies..Mixcraft, Studio One.

Dave.

Hey Dave,

I did download reaper and am going to try some instructional videos on it. Mixcraft looks like it is only Windows. Part of my difficulty with these DAWs is that they do way too much compared to my needs. The instructional videos are not as helpful because they tend to dive head first into all of the wonderful music-making features, synths, loops, tracks, etc. I need to record, and then apply about 4 effects (EQ, compression, noise reduction, output volume). The watered down Cubase and Wavelab have the annoying need to keep one's license on a flash drive. This afternoon, I'm tinkering with Triumph again (using the AskVideo site for screencasts). I think much of my problem is simply my bias against Adobe after they made me subscribe to Photoshop, Lightroom, and Audition.

Jeff, have you tried Reaper? About £60 one off if you like it.
Or you might get on well with Samplitude Pro Silver. 8 tracks max but pretty "pro" and totally free.

Others freebies..Mixcraft, Studio One.

Dave.

.... They are overkill for voiceover. I use Adobe Audition but don't like paying a monthly subscription for it. I'm trying to find a replacement (Mac), and it is difficult to find anything similar.
Keep up the good work.

Jeffery,
Have you researched TwistedWave? I'm not a Mac-man. In fact, I use Reaper, as Dave suggested. But, I see TW gets a lot of love from many MAC VO artists.
Dale

Hey Dale,

The look and feel of TwistedWave is like a simplified Adobe Audition I'm going to see how it behaves with Izotope and FabFilter.

Sorry that this thread is veering OT, but appreciate the helpful comments.

"Part of my difficulty with these DAWs is that they do way too much compared to my needs."

No help I know but everyone has said that about every DAW when they start! They used to say it to me about VCRs. "I JUST want to stick a tape in and record. DON'T need all these bells and whistles!" I read once that over 75% of VCR owners never used the timer function. I do not own a synth' but I would bet 50% or more of the better one's functions go unknown and unused.

You have used AA and as I say, that is pretty deep. All DAWs do much the same thing and all can be setup to do basic recording with realtime effects or add them later. I mentioned Samplitude Silver? That can be setup to record X tracks (up to 8 at a time), "view" finds you the mixer pane and there are your FX. You can only run 4 per channel IIRC . I am not sure if SS is Windows only but the principle is the same for any DAW. It IS possible to work out what you need and ignore the rest and WR to Reaper, it is not as though you are paying a lot for the stuff you don't need!

Dave.

Hello!

I'm currently using the Focusrite Scarlett Solo with the BM-800, and I have to say that it sounds pretty decent to me.(probably because I don't have high-quality headphones, and I'm not such an audiophile.)

However, I'd like to upgrade my sound quality a little bit, and buy a better microphone.

I don't really want to spend that much, and I'm looking for sub $150 microphones. I'm willing to buy some 2nd hand mics from eBay if needed.

I'm currently looking at the MXL V67g, AT2020, MXL 990(probably the cheapest).

Also, there's a busy road outside my apartment, so I wouldn't want it to pick up that noise, too. The BM-800 doesn't pick it up.

That's why I've also looked at the Oktava MK-012-01, and it also sounds pretty good to me, but I'd like you to tell me what you think about it.

Have a great day!

Theres a bunch of mics that would work, but are they better than what you have? IDK.

LDC... get ready for some Vocal Booth isolation work (which could be fun)...how bads the road noise will get worse with a more sensitive mic.

MXL 990 used $40-$50
At 15mv it should work well with your Focusrite. Get one with the holder and a XLR cable.

MXL 990 on vocal track Billboard #1 - OAR Shattered-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa5Mawz92xU
(ran through very hiend preamp and 1176 blackface- Matt Wallace)

The mic you have sounds pretty good in your example. You could probably play around with processing and get it a little more polished and sweetened up...with free plugs.

Last edited:
Hello!

Could you please give me some examples of plugins I could use? I'm still pretty new, and I'm not sure what would be beneficial to make the recording sound better.

Back