Microphone upside down??

Vintage tube mics apparantly get really really hot so it would make sense to have them upside down so the heat from the body of the mic wouldn't damage the capsule.

Astriaal said:
Vintage tube mics apparantly get really really hot so it would make sense to have them upside down so the heat from the body of the mic wouldn't damage the capsule.

Yup, thats right.
I've been to a couple of studios and I still see them hung upside down even though they are not tube mics. This is just personal preference on how you like to place your mic I guess. For me, I like it upside down because it just seems to fit in front of my face better.

Heat dissipation like people have said and it also has to do with making a vocalist hyper-extending the neck a little bit "up" toward a mic. I've also noticed that angling the mic from above also helps with s'plosives (even with a pop screen) and sibalance. It does depend on the vocalist and his/her end desires but I'm apt to hang a mic from above in order to get the vocal chords to hyper-extend. With a little coaching 9 times out of 10 they're the better for it. I'm pretty anal about pitch and vocal integrity.

Plus, it looks better on a studio documentary if the mic is hung "upside-down". Even tho most studio documentaries don't use real footage from legit takes.... it's mostly for "show". ie: "let's do a shot of 'so-and-so' singing 'this-or-that' track", then the studio/producer/engineer grabs their most expensive mic while the vocalist "pretends" to be tracking the final take of the song (all the way thru without punch-ins) with vigor. Yup, I've been there, done that more than once for a TV/film/documentary.

Don't believe everything you see, sometimes.
-- Adam Lazlo

I own quite a few tube mics and I'll say that heat has nothing to do with it. The purpose for hanging mics upside down came from when singers needed to have the charts on a stand to read while singing. None of my tube mics get hot enough to effect the capsule.

If heat was an issue, why would you see a solid state mics like a U87 upsidedown (which you see quite frequently)? It gets the singer's vocal chords in a better ergonomic position and allows for music stands and hand gestures, which some performers use to enhance their performance.

I think its more of a trend.

I almost always use large condenser mic upside down. Primarily to keep the mic, stand, and cable out of the way of the singer.

PhilGood said:
I own quite a few tube mics and I'll say that heat has nothing to do with it. The purpose for hanging mics upside down came from when singers needed to have the charts on a stand to read while singing. None of my tube mics get hot enough to effect the capsule.

If heat was an issue, why would you see a solid state mics like a U87 upsidedown (which you see quite frequently)? It gets the singer's vocal chords in a better ergonomic position and allows for music stands and hand gestures, which some performers use to enhance their performance.

I think its more of a trend.

It's not just a trend based on my experience. I've a/b'd the difference with drastic results (I prefer upside down). Hyper-extension/diffusion makes a huge difference.

-- Adam Lazlo

Don't forget the possible effects on the vocalist. Have more of the mic above level with the singer and suddenly a slightly raised head opens up the vocal passage and BOOM you suddenly have a much more clear sound. Great for all the rookies I record who record voiceover for their college and small festival films, and a lot easier than reminding them to not look down every 30 seconds.

I recebtly made the switch to upside down and have noticed reduced sibilance and plosives. I also agree with the neck and opening up your voice a bit more. All in all, it's just feel. When I recorded with the rightside up LDC, I was a little intimidated witht he huge mic hanging in my view. Now that it's upside down, I can move a lot of that massive mic out of my view. I dunno why but seems to work better for me.

mindwave_21 said:
I recebtly made the switch to upside down and have noticed reduced sibilance and plosives. I also agree with the neck and opening up your voice a bit more. All in all, it's just feel. When I recorded with the rightside up LDC, I was a little intimidated witht he huge mic hanging in my view. Now that it's upside down, I can move a lot of that massive mic out of my view. I dunno why but seems to work better for me.

It's probably because you're hitting at a slightly different angle, and not necessarily because it's upside down. Just a guess, not being there and all.

I find they're easier to position upside down because the cable is up where it won't be in the way of the boom stand.

But, I also shoot my 9mm sideways when I'm out thuggin' and I walk backwards at the mall.

War

But, I also shoot my 9mm sideways when I'm out thuggin' and I walk backwards at the mall.

hahahha...

I think alot of the mic-upside-down thing has to do with looking cool, too. :D

I'm gonna hang mine upside down as soon as I get a heavier stand...

and yeah, I think it looks cool, but it's more convenientwhen having a lyrics sheet in front of you, too...

When I'm micing something close to the ground (like a guitar amp on a chair) it's easier to get the capsule low enough if you hang a LDC upside down.

I would go fishing with my dad alot when I was a little lad. It was very exciting to hold in the cast button on the reel, then let-her rip as my bobber and hook flew thru the air and then into the water. I do remember it being difficult to keep the rod/reel upright while I was fishing...the reel always wanted to twist the rod so that it hung below...darn gravity.

Anyway, one day, I noticed other fisher-persons (trying to be pc) with their reel hanging below the rod instead of keeping above the rod. I said to my dad, "look, they're holding their pole wrong". Then he looked at me and said, "well, actually, that's how it's supposed to be held".

Point being, maybe the mic is supposed to be hung that way, and everybody else that is proping them upright are wrong? Not that I really care, I just like anecdotes. :)

The people I record often have charts on a stand. Upside down keeps the mic and cable out of the way from the mic stand.

the info that came w/ my tube mic said to use it inverted to prevent the heat going to the cap.

and 'opening up' vocals with head up is wrong. My chorus teacher always said that by stretching the neck and head up closes down the wind pipe. to open it the to max the head should be straight or lower a bit. just try it say, 'aaaaah' and move your head up and down, your tone quality opens up and gets deeper as the head moves to straight on and then lower, the air way gets squeezed down as the head moves up. watch 5 minutes of opera, not one of them sticks their head up. And they go for maximum power, don't ya think they'd all have their heads angled up if it was the way to sing?

I've always had the mic above, and pointed down towards the vocalist because that way the air from the singers' mouth doesn't hit the diaphragm directly, it passes below the top of the microphone and reduced popping...

and yeah, it's also easier to read music when the mic is out of the way

so the vocalist doesn't strain up, i'll put the pop filter where if they sing right into it, they're not stretching their neck up to sing into the mic...

just what i usually do

Back