Microphone suggestions?

Which mic?

• Shure SM58

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Audio Technica AT2020

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

M3TA1

I'm looking to purchase a new microphone for my small home studio. My budget is around $130 and I'll be plugging the mic into my audio interface. I will be using the mic mainly for vocals. I will be recording singing, screaming, and occasional acoustic guitar. I was considering the Shure SM58 or the Audio Technica AT2020. I'm also not sure if a condenser or dynamic mic will be best for me. I don't have a vocal booth so there may be some background noise from other things in the room.

Lot of folks like the 58. Good general purpose mic. I've not heard bad things about the 2020 either so seems like either one would probably serve you well.

I lean towards the 58 only because it is a good general purpose mic that you will probably use in the future even as you upgrade your mic locker.

If you compare the two, the AT is brighter, and needs a pop shield, the Shure is mellower and really needs to be used with the basket almost on the lips otherwise it sounds very thin.

If the room is noisy then the distance between your mouth and the mic, vs the mic to the noise is important. The Shure with lips close will sound ok, and background noise will be minimal. The AT at a foot will sounds very crisp and natural BUT a noise source could well be evident. If it's just one noisy feature - the using the null at the rear of the mic facing the noise source works pretty well.

I have a 2020, but for what I do, rarely use it - just really because I have others I like better. A colleague swears by them for recording 6 string steel strung guitars, but I've not tried.

The SM58 is designed for close up vocals and not much else. I'd personally go with a condenser (but like a bright sound). However, if you decide to go the dyamic route, you should seriously consider the SM57 instead of the 58. Pretty much the same as the 58 if you add a pop filter but a lot more flexible for other uses...like your occasional acoustic guitar.

Cascade Fathead BE ribbon mic is ~$130

it's a little outside what people normally suggest but I've been using one for a couple of years now and really like some of the sounds you can get with it

It' nice and smooth, not screechy and painful like some cheap condensers and seems to me to be a little more flattering than sm57/58 on a lot of things

Figure eight pattern can give you some different sound too if you can find a nice sounding spot in the room to record from

definitely an inexpensive little gem that is worth having around, as opposed to cheap crap that you'll end up ditching like a lot of the $100-150 mics seem to be

I'm either going to go with the SM58 or the AT2020 just because the store has both of them in stock and it's easier. I know there are a lot of other mics out there for the price but I want to narrow it down to those 2. Please suggest which one out of those 2 would work best for my needs.

Despite the 57 being a great workhorse of a mic you'll end up wanting an LDC anyway...

Question is do you want to have to buy a second LDC when you realise the AT2020 isn't quite giving you that sound you want...

I'd save double your budget and go for something better. SE2200 or Rode NT-2a perhaps. Both much better mics in my opinion or get the 57 and then save

Good to have both a 58 and a 57 in your arsenal. Based on needs, I would recommend getting the 58 first and then when finances allow, picking up a 57. Note that MF has deals on either and both where you can get an inexpensive stand and cable for just a few bucks extra - two of each if you pick up both at the same time (and no tax and usually free shipping).

I own two older Electro-Voice ND 257 and 357's. Both are in need of the slip on handle that eventually rots away and both need the foam pop filter that goes inside the screen. Does anyone have a resource for these? Or does anyone refurbish them?

Back