Microphone stand for Zoom H6 and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Mic

michaellanfield

A question on microphone stands for Zoom H6 and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Mic (Scarlett Studio Mic).

What microphone stands and pop filters should I get and at what price range? I am using it for a regular desk that my Macbook Pro sits on. I don't want to spend a fortune, but do have some money to spend on good quality equipment that will last me a long time. I also would like the stand and pop filter to look good if I need to include it in my youtube videos. Sometimes I do not want the mics or equipment to be shown in my videos. The mics will also be used for narration and maybe even vocals.

I am a newbie on these things, though I am somewhat knowledgeable on electronic equipment in general.

Thank you.

Michael...

Just to clarify what your setup is, do you have the the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 bundle which includes the 2i2 interface and the Scarlett Studio mic or do you just have the Scarlett Studio mic that you'll be using with the Zoom H6 or perhaps neither?

- "Sometimes I do not want the mics or equipment to be shown in my videos. The mics will also be used for narration and maybe even vocals."

A mic such as the Scarlett Studio mic may be a bit difficult to keep from view in a video as you normally may be 8" to 12" from it to get good audio quality. I recently went on a quest for a mic that would be good for video and possibly voice over. I narrowed it down to a budget 'shotgun' type mic, an Audio Technica AT875r (found one used to save a few $$$). This mic can be put on a boom stand overhead of the speaker out of view and have fairly good audio quality such as in this Youtube video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vrm6NbrCN8 (AT875r with Zoom H4n)
or a bit closer below the chin, which gives more depth to the sound, but still out of frame.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KQYDH4Wgc

I likely would not put a mic stand on a desk as it may pick up keyboard clicks, thumps, and other mechanical noise, but rather a floor stand with a boom that can swing over the desk or overhead. Something like this won't break the bank and likely would suffice for most mics > https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755877-REG/auray_ms_5230f_tripod_microphone_stand.html

You might not need a pop filter with a shotgun mic like this if it is not directly pointed to the front of your mouth. Windscreen perhaps if used outdoors.

I'm not sure how the AT875r might do for vocals, but might be OK (I'll know better this week when I receive it).

A link I did for a search of voice over artists demos that use the AT875r...
https://www.google.com/search?num=2.....0...1c.1j2.64.hp..6.8.1333.0..0.08wBGDGNo4M

arcaxis thank you for replying.

Michael...

Just to clarify what your setup is, do you have the the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 bundle which includes the 2i2 interface and the Scarlett Studio mic or do you just have the Scarlett Studio mic that you'll be using with the Zoom H6 or perhaps neither?

I currently have the Zoom H6 and will be getting the Scarlett 2i2 studio. So for certain projects I will be using the Zoom H6 and narration/youtube videos I will be using the 2i2 mic that comes with the studio package.

- "Sometimes I do not want the mics or equipment to be shown in my videos. The mics will also be used for narration and maybe even vocals."

A mic such as the one that comes in the Scarlett Studio mic may be a bit difficult to keep from view in a video as you normally may be 8" to 12" from it to get good audio quality.

Is there someway to get the mic out of the video? Maybe, if I were to set it up like a boom mic? At times I do not mind it being in the video when I am just speaking, but at other times I would like to at least hide the microphone or maybe move it totally out of the camera view. For most of my youtube videos I will be using my Logitech C930e webcam, but for other higher quality videos I will use my external JVC HD camera.

I likely would not put a mic stand on a desk as it may pick up keyboard clicks, thumps, and other mechanical noise, but rather a floor stand with a boom that can swing over the desk or overhead. Something like this won't break the bank and likely would suffice for most mics > https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755877-REG/auray_ms_5230f_tripod_microphone_stand.html

Excellent. Thank you for that recommendation. The Scalett 2i2 mic will be hooked up to the stand. I could put that stand right beside my desk, however it will be sitting on carpet as my room is all carpeted. I would rather it sit on a flat floor surface. Is carpet a problem with this mic stand? It is a regular carpet not too thick.

You might not need a pop filter with a shotgun mic like this if it is not directly pointed to the front of your mouth. Windscreen perhaps if used outdoors.

I will not use this stand/mic outdoors, just by my desk for youtube videos and narrations. I prefer not to get a shotgun mic as I really have my eyes set on the 2i2 package. However, I could get the shotgun capsule for the Zoom H6 I have. But if I do get the shotgun capsule for the Zoom H6 I think the windscreen would be appropriate, but in studio recording settings I see more people using the pop filter rather than the windscreen. I use the hairy windscreen outdoors.

I've had great luck with a small diaphragm condenser just out of frame over my head, using a regular old mic stand. A cheap tripod stand with a boom arm does the trick.

Although I got tired of having yet another stand and cable to run, after getting the camera set up and dialed in, and getting the lights set up...I ended up going with a wireless lavalier mic. The sound quality isn't as good (relatively cheap lavalier versus a great small diaphragm condenser...not a fair fight) but it's a trade-off that I was willing to make. Being able to move anywhere in the room is a huge plus for the type of stuff that I do. Your mileage may vary.

I will not use this stand/mic outdoors, just by my desk for youtube videos and narrations. I prefer not to get a shotgun mic as I really have my eyes set on the 2i2 package. However, I could get the shotgun capsule for the Zoom H6 I have. But if I do get the shotgun capsule for the Zoom H6 I think the windscreen would be appropriate, but in studio recording settings I see more people using the pop filter rather than the windscreen. I use the hairy windscreen outdoors.

I f you do consider getting the H6 shotgun mic, ran across this in my daily browse of used gear > https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801483071-USE/zoom_sgh_6_shotgun_microphone_capsule.html
A few $$$ saved over new and B&H is a reputable retailer

Back