Microphone stand

Orson

Can anybody suggest a microphone stand for a Rode NT1A with the SMA shock mount and pop shield.

It is quite heavy so if a desk stand I need one that will not topple over and the other stands or suspention arms need not to have plastic bits which will break.

I use both the Heil and the Rode stands mentioned in arcaxis's post. The Heil is also offered in a less expensive version (the HB-1, with exposed springs) that is strong enough to support the stand and microphone. All three of these are good for your needs. There are some much cheaper ones available on Amazon.com, but I don't know if they are going to be sturdy enough.

Thanks both.

Jeffrey I too have been searching Amazon and there are some models with plastic fittings that broke for approx £20.00 and the Rode boom arm is nearly 3 times that price (get what you pay for) but the Rode desk mic stand gets a bad review as being unstable due to the weight of the Rode NT1A mic set up.

The Rode is pricey, and doesn't really offer more support than the Heil PL2T. Neither one can be used with a heavy mic like the Lauten FC-387 Atlantis or the Rode NT-R. Neither has an issue with a Rode NT1A with shock mount and pop filter. I've used it with the Kaotica Eyeball in addition, and it doesn't sag.

Jeff the Rode is the cheaper of the two on Amazon anyway.

As long as your desk has a decent squared edge on it, you will like the Rode. My desk at work has a beveled end, so I can't use a boom stand there unless I get a piece of plywood or plexiglass to give the clamp something to grip.

Actually I was thinking of attaching it to the wall or ceiling but I do not like the bad reviews that have appeared on Amazon regards the Rodes build. Other types are up to $350 !!! Now I know why they all seem to use the floor standing mic stand.

I looked at the reviews on Amazon (not sure if the US version of Amazon has different reviews) and It had enough positive reviews I don't think I'd hesitate giving it a try. Amazon is good about returns if you didn't feel the build quality was good. It certainly has to be better than some of the budget stuff out there.
Not sure how feasible it would be to mount the PSA1 to a wall or ceiling given the way its meant to mount.

I made the mistake of buying a monstrous Yellowtec boom ($300, and it doesn't even come with the clamp for the desktop...you have to buy that extra). The springs in it are strong enough that it only wants to stay extended. To keep it in one place, you have to tighten the knobs extremely tight. Then if you want to fold it, you have to lean way over to loosen each knob.

It comes with an integrated mic cable that has no plugs. You have to install them yourself at both ends.

Back