Microphone/Sound Card not working?

Nimra387

Hi! After moving my computer from one place to another, I have noticed that I can't make any recordings with my cheap 1/8 Mic through the Mic in on my soundcard - i get no signal (only a cracking sound while plugging the mic out while its still recording). If I plug in another High Impedance 1/4 Mic in the Mic in (using a 1/8 adapter), and use "Microphone boost" option on the soundcard settings, it's the only way I get a recording signal.

I have tested both Mic's on another computer and they work, but on this one only the 1/4 works while on "Microphone boost".

Playback works just fine. The 1/8 worked for me better for the settings in terms of recording some demos, so I didn't want to invest into anything yet.

Note: After moving the computer and trying to record with the 1/8 for the fist time or so, I managed to get a very distorted/hissing sound, but after that, i got nothing,

Can it be that I've damaged my soundcard in some way?

What are you trying to record? the built-in soundcards in most computers are designed to make the 'beeps and boops' and play streamed audio at fair quality, but they are not designed for audio recording. An external (USB or Firewire) audio interface is the way to go.

Hi! After moving my computer from one place to another, I have noticed that I can't make any recordings with my cheap 1/8 Mic through the Mic in on my soundcard - i get no signal (only a cracking sound while plugging the mic out while its still recording). If I plug in another High Impedance 1/4 Mic in the Mic in (using a 1/8 adapter), and use "Microphone boost" option on the soundcard settings, it's the only way I get a recording signal.

I have tested both Mic's on another computer and they work, but on this one only the 1/4 works while on "Microphone boost".

Playback works just fine. The 1/8 worked for me better for the settings in terms of recording some demos, so I didn't want to invest into anything yet.

Note: After moving the computer and trying to record with the 1/8 for the fist time or so, I managed to get a very distorted/hissing sound, but after that, i got nothing,

Can it be that I've damaged my soundcard in some way?

I'm recording some raw metal demos. I was playing on buying some sort of an Interface, but for now I'm really concerned if could have messed up my sound card. It wen't constantly over the peak while recording, that's a fact. Is it possible for this to happen while plugging in the Mic in the sound card in the mic input? Right now I really don't get it how one mic is working, while the other isn't :S

I'm recording some raw metal demos. I was playing on buying some sort of an Interface, but for now I'm really concerned if could have messed up my sound card. It wen't constantly over the peak while recording, that's a fact. Is it possible for this to happen while plugging in the Mic in the sound card in the mic input? Right now I really don't get it how one mic is working, while the other isn't :S

Well it's a possibility that the mic in is damaged isn't it? When Clipping didn't do it, what else could have :S?

My guess at the problem........

The "cheap" mic is likely an electret type of mic. The ring connection on the TRS plug usually supplies a small bias voltage to make the mic work. Does your computer have a jack that works as both a Mic input as well as a Line input which may be switchable in the software? If it's set to Line input the bias voltage may not be present and the mic probably won't work. Guessing the Hi-Z mic is a dynamic and it doesn't need a bias voltage, thus works.

Is the "soundcard" integrated into/part of the motherboard or a separate card that plugs into the bus?

Or your soundcard is simply FUBAR :D

Hi! The sound card isn't integrated, and it has separate microphone and line ins. And you guessed correct, the other mic is dynamic :D. I've tried switching mic and line in as default recording channels in the sound settings, even tried plugging the mic in the line in, but no results. Only thing I hear is a crack when I plug the mic in or out. So, what could be the reason it all of sudden isn't able to record anything, what do you think? The other reply said the mic in could be damaged...

Back