Which microphone shall I buy?

graverholt

I am starting a community radio programme, and I have bought Zoom H4N for interviews indoor and outdoor - and I am very satisfied with it.

I do not have access to a studio, so for studio texts (I mean when I speak on my own, what do you call that in English?) I would like some good sound without echo, so I have bought this: SE Electronics X1-RFX Studio Bundle - but I am not really satisfied, I think it has just as much reverb (if that is the same as echo) as H4N alone.

So now I consider instead to use my money to get a really good microphone and put a blanket or two over my head to avoid the reverb. I cannot spare more than up to max USD 350 / 260 Euro for microphone incl. pop filter and shock mount.

So can someone tell me, if the RØDE NT1-A 1 is a good choice - and if it is also good for outside use?

Thanks very much

Last edited:
I forgot to write, that it is very good, that with the bundle I avoid the p-spitting sound, but the 's' sounds are very disturbing.

I would suggest going with a dynamic mic. An SM7b would not pick up so much of the room, or outside noises.

arcaxis
Thanks for the answer. I bought this equipment because I expected it to reduce the room, so it is quite frustrating if I anyway have to use carpets etc. Therefor, I thought that I'd better use my money for a good mic instead, and then use carpets for that, now that the bundle has no effect on the room, so why should I pay for it?
I often watch a tv-programme with 2 persons witg pop filters, and they stand not more than 10-15 cm. from the mic, so I thougt that was the correct, but maybe they have other mics.
The article, you mentioned, has some very good hints regarding the s-sounds. I'll try that.

Last edited:
But the price is far too high, at least here in Denmark. But the main problem is also, that the bundle, which was supposed to remove the room, does not work.

I don't know if this will be enough, but controlling your volume and distance from the mic will help.

The closer you are to the mic the lower the gain has to be and the quieter the room reflections will be compared to your direct signal.
It's not ideal for singing, but for speech close and quiet will drastically reduce room reflections.

Think about a massive church hall. You talk loud to someone a meter away and you hear echo.
Talk quietly into their ear and you don't.

But arcaxis recommends at least 30 cm.
Another thing: What is this -10Db button for? And another one, where I can choose between a stright line and "broken" line.

Pssh, what does he know.

Nah seriously though, his advice is sound regarding proximity effect. It's a tradeoff.

The closer you are the boomier your recording will be and the less room sound you'll pick up.
The further back you are the more natural the bass response will be and the more room sound you'll pick up.

If ambience is the complaint, I'd get closer to the mic and use a HPF later if necessary.
At least proxy effect can be 'fixed' in the box.

Another thing: What is this -10Db button for? And another one, where I can choose between a stright line and "broken" line.

-10db is a pad.
If a source is too loud you turn the gain down. If the gain is already down you engage the pad.
You're only likely to need that on sources like snare/kick drums.

The straight line/broken line represents an eq curve.
The straight line is untouched and the 'broken' line cuts away some of the bass; This is called a High pass filter - HPF.

It's useful in live settings and maybe in close proximity speech settings.

But the price is far too high, at least here in Denmark. But the main problem is also, that the bundle, which was supposed to remove the room, does not work.

How much is a SM7b in Denmark? More than the RODE NT1a?

The reflection filter things, only remove so much. If the room is not good to start with, then they can only do so much. Helpful, yes. But keep in mind, the only reflections they possibly could help with, are 3 sides of the room, as far as reflections are concerned. A square room has 6. You still have above, below, and behind the mic, not to mention, the flutter echo coming from each, and modes of the room creating issues that no small 'filter' around a mic, is going to make any change to....

A condenser mic, is going to show exactly how poor the room is. A Dynamic, is going to be much more forgiving, even without the reflection filter gizmo. Though, there are limitations, on the frequency response of a dynamic. You have to weigh out the pro's/con's of each. Then decide for yourself, what works best for you.

By the way, I have a well treated room, yet still use a dynamic mostly (for vocals), and a sort of reflection filter (2X4"X4" thick panels, hung from ceiling). I prefer the sound, over a condenser (also have a NT1a), for the style of music I record. Your opinions may be different.

How much is a SM7b in Denmark? More than the RODE NT1a?
USD 535. Much more.

The reflection filter things, only remove so much. If the room is not good to start with, then they can only do so much. Helpful, yes. But keep in mind, the only reflections they possibly could help with, are 3 sides of the room, as far as reflections are concerned. A square room has 6. You still have above, below, and behind the mic, not to mention, the flutter echo coming from each, and modes of the room creating issues that no small 'filter' around a mic, is going to make any change to....
And that is OK, and I have a very poor room in relation to sound. But I had expected it to have some effect, but as far as I can judge, the result from the H4N alone is just as good as with the bundle, so there is no reason to spend money on it. But would it be better to buy a dynamic microphone then?

But would it be better to buy a dynamic microphone then?

A dynamic won't pick up less ambience in a like for like situation.

The advantage of them is that often they allow you to work much closer to them than condensers.
Usually dynamics are less prone to air blasts and are less sensitive.
This goes back to my other post; The closer you are, the less ambience will be an issue.

I'm only making this clear because some people do podcasts with the mic at 2' distance and expect a dynamic mic will pick up less room.
At that kind of range, it wont.

I'm beginning to get confused, so I will make it simple:
I need the mic for studio speak with only me, and I want to get rid of the especially the 'p' (which I guess I can do with a pop) and the 's' (I guess it helps pointing the mic a little away from my mouth, but it could be better) and the ambience.
And it should be better that what my H4N can do with a pop.
So do I need a dynamic or a condenser?

Back