Microphone repair

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
I have a Shure SM56 Unidyne III - Dose anyone have any insight to the wiring from the capsule to the tranny?

Goodbye Jon. :(

Last edited:
Never heard of m56, but in most unidynes there should only be two wires and two ways to do it (green and yellow).
I'm pretty sure it won't matter which way round you wire them, other than changing the mic polarity.

There may be a third black wire. If there is, that's usually tied to the chassis at some point. Look for a copper strip or solder point on the chassis.

What does it look like?

It's the other side of the transformer that should be more complicated.
Some of those unidynes had impedance options.

Never heard of m56, but in most unidynes there should only be two wires and two ways to do it (green and yellow).
I'm pretty sure it won't matter which way round you wire them, other than changing the mic polarity.

There may be a third black wire. If there is, that's usually tied to the chassis at some point. Look for a copper strip or solder point on the chassis.

What does it look like?

It's the other side of the transformer that should be more complicated.
Some of those unidynes had impedance options.

Sorry Paul - It's the SM56

Last edited:
Well the black wire I have to re-solder to the cooper stripe and it follows to the capsule side that is bolted to a center bolt. - no problem there.

I guess I have the green and yellow wire figured out then if it doesn't matter which side they go to on the capsule side. Here is where it gets weird though.

Those wires come from the the tranny and are connected to a small board that is also connected to that center bot from the capsule side. Then in turn the wires just go up and touch the spot of their contact held rigged with a plastic tube that the wire passes through. - just a weird set up! No solder to the capsule! I guess so that if you had to, you could change out the capsule very quickly?

Does the board have any doings? Is it a switch, high pass or anything like, or just a convenient solder point?

It sounds like the latter.
Any pics Henry?

One other thing that I forgot to mention that is different with this microphone is the fact that it has a switch on the body part that connects to the microphone stand.
A three position switch with settings of H, O, L. I can only assume that it's a High pass, no filter, low pass.

Ok.
So what's the story Henry? Is it just not working and you're not sure why?

I just have to attach the ground wire and I believe it will work, if not, I don't know what to do with it. Maybe I'll sent it out.
I just know that I'll get burnt with the gun on this job the copper piece that I have to solder to is way down in the barrel of the microphone.

Never heard of m56

LOL, looking back that seems like I'm being really nit-picky.

I genuinely didn't make the link. :facepalm:

If you're stuck, disconnect the capsule and wire it straight to a cable, just to see if it works, or test across it if you have a meter.
Test across both sides of the transformer too. At least that could narrow down your fault.

LOL, looking back that seems like I'm being really nit-picky.

I genuinely didn't make the link. :facepalm:

If you're stuck, disconnect the capsule and wire it straight to a cable, just to see if it works, or test across it if you have a meter.
Test across both sides of the transformer too. At least that could narrow down your fault.

I'll do that as well Paul.

Back