Microphone Recommendations

dsealer

I'm thinking about adding another condenser mic to my studio. I have 2 condensers now, a TLM 103 and an AT3525. I'd like to add another Mic that would provide a difference from the other two. I've been looking at tube mics but I don't know anything about them or really their purpose. Truth be know I know very little about any Mic. I go by how they sound once I use them. Anyway this new Mic I'm thinking of buying would be used primarily for vocals, which is mostly how I use the others.
I'm really interested in the feedback from this group.
Thanks,
Don.....

U87 is probably the standard, then theres two types of those, then theres like 10000 copys of the two.

I like Shure because my experience they sell used cheap and are usually built really well.(and it reduces brain stun from too many options)

Shure KSM42 is focused on vocals, Shure SM7, Shure SM58, KSM27 . ..and a billion others.
Multi pattern options can make it versatile, KSM44 or 44a. Retail $1000 , Used for $350-$450 with nice holders, sometimes travel case.

I like LDC these days over dynamics because they are sensitive enough to get my window ac noise in the background giving it that "home grown natural non-professional sound".

Sony C-800G, Telefunken CU-29, Lauten Audio Eden LT-386 are some LDC

AEA R84, AEA R44CE, and Royer R-10 for ribbons

If you can audition them, check out Mojave. I have a couple and they have worked out wonderfully. Very competitively priced and designed by David Royer.

Hi there,
Do you have a budget in mind and any particular difference you want to hear, compared with your other microphones?
I dont know the AT but the Neumann has a reputation for being bright enough.

Maybe A TLM193 or sm7b would serve in the other direction; Something not-hyped/more natural?

Back