Microphone Question

dsealer

I'm looking for feedback on vocal mics. I have 2 large condenser mics. A TLM 103 that I bought about 12 years ago and an AT3525 bought about the same time. I have some Shure Sm 57 and 58's and a couple of other mics of this type. I haven't used the TLM for a long time and now when I record with it it seems harsh, not warm at all. Maybe my ears or voice have changed or maybe the Mic has changed. I have some recordings that I did back in 1998 - 2001 where the mic seems to have a different sound.
In any event I'd be interested in getting some feedback on mics that have a warmer, not very harsh sound. And I'd also be interested to hear from anyone else who might have the TLM 103 and AT3525 or opinions on these mics.
Thanks, don.....

Somethings different between then and now for certain. I've never heard a Neumann of any sort be "harsh" Bright maybe but harsh is not in its DNA. I always thought the Transformerless Mikrofones series were a little more clinical than the Neumanns with transformers. But none I've heard, and this is quite a few, ever were 'harsh'.....

The TLM103 does have a reputation for being a pretty bright microphone.
I'm generally use dynamic mics but I always recommend the Oktava mk219 to people looking for less hyped or more natural sounding condenser microphones.
I think they're only available used but they're not at all expensive.

If you want to keep it in the family, try the TLM193. It's another one that has a rep for being flatter or more natural sounding.

I've had, or frequently used, all the microphone I mentioned.

I can't address whether something changed along the way, just to mention. There's no harm in trying a little roll off targeting a perceived edge or 'hot spot. Low Pass, a High Shelf trim, a medium narrow bell dip?
Cost$ ...zero.

Interesting that you have a AT3525, I use these mics mainly to mic tops and percussion (I own 3) and love them. However when I was in a band with my wife her voice sounded great with the AT3525 and I recorded several albums with one on her vocals. Here is one of the tracks LINK (sorry I only have a link to the album version so vocals don't come in until 1.30) The AT3525 has a smaller capsule than the TLM.

So don't count the AT3525 out for vocals at all, it really suits some voices, which is maybe why the TLM103 does not suit you?

Alan.

Back