Microphone for Podcasting

Baja

I'm a complete novice at recording, but a friend suggested I start here. What I'm looking for is a decent condenser microphone to record primarily spoken words at a public library. We will be using it in the field with a Marantz PMD660 recorder in a handheld situation or perhaps on a mic stand to record storytimes, so durability would be an asset. We're looking to spend around $100. Someone mentioned the MAudio Aries handheld - http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOARIES - but I just wanted to get all your professional opinions. Thanks.

I'm sure that microphone will be fine. Fieldrecording is always tough, and if you don't want to spend more than 100, then hell - go for the mAudio. Just remember that you'll need a DECENT preamp with phantom-power to go with it. I believe Rode has one or two condenser mics with battery support, you might want to look into that.

I'd definitely go with a quality omni dynamic, you should be able to pick up a ev 635a on ebay very easily. If your lucky you might find a beyerdynamic m58 cheap on ebay which is a fantastic mic with a long handle for interviewing. The RE50 is basically a 635a with internal shock mount and windscreen. With a cardioid mic you're going to have to deal with proximity effect too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=BEM58&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=92694

I picked up my M58 for £30 among a bunch of junk on ebay

Last edited:
An omni dynamic might be ideal ... but a Sennheiser E835 would be cheaper and would not pose any audio quality issues for you. They're very good and can be had for about $60 or less in the States, I'm told on here.

Heya Paddy - I just got back from your neck of the British Isle Woods last week ... did the West Coast at Westport and around Clew Bay and made stops in Dublin, Galway and Sligo. Lovely country you have there ... apart from Sligo. :)

noisedude said:
Heya Paddy - I just got back from your neck of the British Isle Woods last week ... did the West Coast at Westport and around Clew Bay and made stops in Dublin, Galway and Sligo. Lovely country you have there ... apart from Sligo. :)

Haha you could get in trouble for saying "british isles" ;) :p. If I had know you were around we could have shared a slab of the black stuff. My base in is roscommon now so you basically did 270 degrees around my house. Sligos not so bad theres benbulben, innisfree, parke castle, glencar waterfall and all. I go off season when you have the place to yourself.

I was down the beara peninsula camping at the foot of hungry hill, swimming at dunboy castle and blue pool, catching the sun on garnish island, drinking pints in allihies and glengarriff and strolling around on the sea arches near eyeries. I'd definitely advise a trip there, because of the gulf stream its almost subtropical down there. It was very quiet for the time of year, everyone seems to be off in Estonia and Croatia for the cheap sex .. I mean beer.

Heck, for $100 you can get 5 new Behringer XM8500's. For spoken word recorded in the field to be used on a podcast, it should do the trick. I was curious so I ran a few mics against one, including a Gefell M930, and it wasn't bad.

paddyponchero said:
Haha you could get in trouble for saying "british isles" ;) :p. If I had know you were around we could have shared a slab of the black stuff. My base in is roscommon now so you basically did 270 degrees around my house. Sligos not so bad theres benbulben, innisfree, parke castle, glencar waterfall and all. I go off season when you have the place to yourself.

I was down the beara peninsula camping at the foot of hungry hill, swimming at dunboy castle and blue pool, catching the sun on garnish island, drinking pints in allihies and glengarriff and strolling around on the sea arches near eyeries. I'd definitely advise a trip there, because of the gulf stream its almost subtropical down there. It was very quiet for the time of year, everyone seems to be off in Estonia and Croatia for the cheap sex .. I mean beer.
D'oh! Next time then - cos I definitely want to go back. We saw Innisfree and Glencar waterfall, but nothing was as awe-inspiring as the scenery up the West coast above Westport ... masssive mountains straight into the sea and random flat valleys that almost feel like plains. The glaciers who cut Ireland were very artistic ... Ireland's only fjord was really cool too. :)

paddyponchero said:

Hi Ya Paddy

I used to do a lot of work around Roscommon (use to stop in the Abbey Hotel).
Still come over to Ballyhaunis occasionally. Have you been to Pontoon yet, amazing place.

Tony

Back