microphone for a hammered dulcimer

lyman

Appreciate your ideas on a microphone to use for recording the hammered dulcimer. Currently use two sm57's, but they don't seem to give a true, full sound.

I bet it would sound sweet with a pair of binaural mics placed right above your head, or thereabouts.

Have you done a text search of the forum? Harvey Gerst's massive microphone thread covers good starting points for miking a wide variety of instruments.

Sort of a side thought, on Ty Ford's mic reviews, he always checks the high frequency head room of the mics by jangling some keys in front of the mic. Generally, they distort. If you try this, it sounds like Bee-Bees hitting metal plate.
I'd suspect that hammered dulcimer is in this realm.
Some condersors can work closer than others.
Earthworks makes some very nice natural sounding mics.
http://earthwks.com/
ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/tford/Articles

I agree w/ Mixit

I have used a pair of earthworks TC-30k on a bass hammer dulcimer and it sounded amazing. I called Earthworks and got the mics refurbed as a matched pair for like $725 U.S.
Love them cannot stress it enough. Great as drum overheads to.

<I have used a pair of earthworks TC-30k on a bass hammer dulcimer and it sounded amazing. I called Earthworks and got the mics refurbed as a matched pair for like $725 U.S.
Love them cannot stress it enough. Great as drum overheads to.>

I'll second that!
Did you buy them for $725 or was that a repair cost?

I'm kind of curious about their cardioid voc/inst mic too, also, they're available at the 'blemised' price.

$725 was the purchase price for a pair of refurbished matched TC30Ks in a cherry box. I just emailed the company and asked a couple of questions about the mics. I started a a little dialog w/ a guy named Eric Blackmer, he super friendly. He gave me a good deal, I think the matched pairs were supposed to be more.
Anyway I am really happy w/ them.
Twonk

Hey, man - that's one sweet deal! I paid just over a grand about a year ago for my pair of TC30Ks - I still think they were a bargain, (but not as good a bargain as yours!) Congrats!

- Wil

Back